"Married Flight" ???

Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Married Flight" ???

I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of the term "married flight" and can explain what the meaning is?

I am trying to book flights through a travel agent and tour company. The flights to europe work out great but i am concerned about the return flight.

Rome-Frankfurt
Frankfurt- Toronto
with about an hour in between flights. doesn't seem like a lot of time but they said that this is a married flight and could only be sold as a whole package and that because it is a "married flight" that the gates would be close together....is this true? Does anyone know if this means they will guarantee holding the flight? also i would make sure our bags go straight through to Toronto but would we have to go through customs in frankfurt before boarding the plane to toronto? the airline is Lufthansa if that makes a difference.

Sorry for the long post and probably silly questions but I have never heard this terminology before.

Any input or information woudl be greatly appreciated....thanks.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 08:48 PM

You need to call the airline, travel agent or tour company. I don't think anyone here can answer your question off the top of his head. I presume the term "married" means that the flight and tour are sold as a package.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 09:08 PM

No such thing as "married flight" for the actual plane operation. [Fare type, maybe; but I don't know.]

Gates not necessary to be closed. The Rome-FRA fligth will be just like any other Europe-FRA flight on LH. And no guarantee they'll hold the FRA-YYZ one.

For example, today's LH3841 FCO-FRA arrives at gate A16 in Terminal 1. LH470 FRA-YYZ departs from A59. Same concourse, but different level. And then tomorrow's flight is scheduled to depart from B20.

Bags will go through, but you'll need to go through immigration, as you're leaving the Schengen area.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 10:12 PM

Married flights are those flights that are grouped together to be sold. For example you need a flight Rome-Toronto, the airlines will offer connections via FRA on LH or AF via PAR etc etc. The flight options offered are connecting flights which have to be sold as a complete connection. The minimum connecting time at an airport is taken into account. If the incoming flight is delayed and the onward connection is missed, the airline will put you on the next available flight.

However if you do not book a connection as offered by the airline and make one up yourself, if your incoming flight is delayed, the airline is not under any obligation to book you on the next flight. For example, a lowcost carrier to connect with a scheduled airline.