Maribel...Help!

Old May 17th, 2003, 03:05 AM
Original Poster

Maribel...Help!

Hola from Sevilla,

My husband and I are having a fabulous time on our month long adventure through Spain. We will be in Madrid on the 25th and have discovered we didn't pack Maribel's fabulous Madrid file! Maribel, could you possibly email me another copy that I can down load here? My email is [email protected].

Many thanks,
Kelley
Old May 17th, 2003, 06:20 AM

Hi; I would love to get the Madrid file and any other info on Seville. Leaving for Paris in 5 days then hopefully, to Avignon & on to Seville. First time to Seville alone.Any help greatly appreciated. Will travel by plane or train from Barcelona to Seville & then hope to fly from Seville to England. Any help will be greatly appreciated (Just discovered Olga & Maribel 2 days ago).Thanks Johanna
email: [email protected]
Old May 17th, 2003, 09:08 AM

Hi Kelley,
I've just mailed you an updated copy of the file. Glad to hear you're having a great adventure!

Hi johanna,
Just emailed you a note about alternate Seville hotels and will email you again sending my Madrid and Seville files. Hope one of the 2 hotels I suggested works out for you!
Old May 18th, 2003, 02:40 AM
Original Poster

Maribel,

Thank you so much for resending me your Madrid file. We look forward to following up on your recommendations when we arrive there.
So far, our trip through Spain has been just fabulous. We began in Granada, 5 nights at the Parador, which was fabulous! The grounds of the Alhambra were breath taking and our room overlooked the Generalife gardens. We traveled down to Nerja and explored the caves..great fun.
We then drove to Ronda and stayed 4 nights at the Parador there. As we drove into town, they were just about the begin a procession ?La Paz?. the streets were closed, but they lifted the baracade and allowed us to drive down the street lined with people. We were the only car on the street and I felt like doing the Queens wave as we drove towards the Parador. We had a lovely stay and did some wonderful driving excursions to all the surrounding areas. Maribel, your recommendations were right on. Loved the Parque Natural..the cork trees..the wild flowers...the stunning vistas. Driving to Ubrique and Grazelma was a definite hightlight! We also enjoyed our rather long drive to Baelo Claudia down past Gibralter and Tarifa. Saw Morocco across the water.
We are now on day 4 of our Sevilla stay..Casas de La Juderia is a very nice little hotel and the staff is exceptional. Having a ball here. I will write a complete trip report when we return home. Next we will be touring Extremadura staying at the Parador in Caceres for 4 nights. After that we will do a quick 2 nights in Toledo at the Cardenal before heading off to Madrid.
Almost forgot...last night while dining at the Modesto, seated right next to us were Jane and Ken Park!...posters jlpark..who I had corresponded with before the trip. I recognized Jane from a photo on one of her trip logs. It was such a hoot! What are the chances of running into someone like that in all of Spain!
Gotta run. More sights to see today.
I'll post again soon.
Kelley
Old May 19th, 2003, 07:08 PM

Hello Maribel
could you also please send me your Madrid file as I will be there early October with my 14 year old daughter and any help greatly appreciated.
Can I ask you this please - I am still undecided between Hostal Adriano, Green El Prado or Apt. En Busca Del Tiempo. I am concerned about queit and safety at night for us. Adriano sounds terrific but they have no room or reception safes and I think this pretty important?
Old May 19th, 2003, 07:14 PM

Maribel - I forgot my email address which is [email protected] Thank you.
We are in Madrid for 5 days and I plan to make day trips to Toledo, Granada and hopefully Seville - and find some teen-friendly shops!
Old May 19th, 2003, 07:18 PM

Maribel: thank you. I downloaded your files but I don't know how to open them. I think I have all the information that I need for the trip now. Another poster helped me to finally find a train route from Avignon to Sevilla, without going thru Madrid. I did make reservarions at the Hotel Alcantara, bought a ticket on Iberia from Seville to London (it was costly $306)but nonstop and the time I needed.Located a friend's son living in Sevilla, so I hope to meet him for dinner when I arrive. He said it was 100degrees there. Thanks for your help.
Old May 19th, 2003, 07:30 PM

clbc,
The file is on its way to you.

I think the safe issue is very important! Even a hostal should provide a safe deposit box for guests at the front desk. Calle Cruz is in the process of gentrification, but I don't know that it's completely there yet. Despite the great reports I've read on madridman.com about the Adriano, the Green El Prado, below the Plaza Santa Ana on the Calle Prado is probably the best bet. If there'e not a great difference in price, I'd take the Green El Prado, and you'll have a 3 star, first class hotel with all the usualy amenities rather than a hostal. But I understand if price is a big concern. Have you checked the rates also of its sister hotel, the newish 4 star Green Lope de Vega, on nearby Calle Lope de Vega, for your dates? Some posters here have found great internet rates there. Just a thought...

For your daughter, look for really well priced hip clothes at the Zara and Mango stores, with branches all over Spain. El Corte Ingles dept. store in Sol will also probably be a big hit, and FNAC for music, right up the street on Preciados.
Old May 19th, 2003, 09:38 PM

Maribel,

If you don't mind, I'd love a copy of your file too. We are flying into Madrid in late Sept and hope to also go to Segovia and a destination up north (still unknown) to spend a couple of days. We also plan to visit Sevilla & Cordoba on this trip.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. We will probably look for *** hotels.

We are also wondering if we should rent a car or depend on trains and buses.

Thanks.....
Old May 19th, 2003, 11:02 PM

Maribel
thank you very much for your quick reply and information and the ideas for teen shopping.
There is a bit of difference in price, which is important, Green El Prado is 45 E. more a night than Adriano, and 25E more than Hostal En Busco del Tiempo which does have a safe and includes breakfast (do you know this hostal in Calle Barcelona? is the area OK?)
I did look at Green Lope de Vega but regrettably a bit too expensive for us (we have a week in Paris and a week in Lisbon beforehand).
thanks for your help
Old May 20th, 2003, 07:04 AM

Hi suesnothome,
If you'll kindly give me your email address, I'll be happy to send my Madrid and Seville files to you.
If you're only visiting Madrid, Cordoba, Sevilla and Segovia, you can use public transportation. AVE from Madrid to Cordoba-Sevilla and the La Sepulvedana bus to Segovia (the info is in those files).
But if you plan to visit Ronda or the white towns or the castle route around Segovia, you should have a car.

clbc,
I've only seen pictures of the En Busca del Tiempo and read about it at madridman.com, (didn't get to check it out this time in Madrid) but it looks fresh (finished in '02) and quite decent for the price. The tiny 1 block street, Calle Barcelona, is just around the corner from Calle Cruz, where the Adriano is located, and 5 blocks from the Green Prado-right in the heart of Old Madrid.
Since En Busca del Tiempo is billed as short-term apartments, and there are only 4 per floor, you and your daughter would have more space, I think.
I wish I could better advise you one way or the other but am reluctant to because I haven't personally seen this new place.

(Look for the Madrid file today-sent it last night but typed your address incorrectly! It's now on its way).

Old May 20th, 2003, 09:06 AM

Wow--so generous !
Old May 20th, 2003, 07:12 PM

Sorry Maribel, I'm used to it being there. It's [email protected]

We were trying to decide on one place in the north to stay a couple of days besides Madrid, Segovia, Toledo, Cordoba & Seville.

Thanks.
Old May 21st, 2003, 12:10 AM

Maribel
youradvice is invaluable and everything in youremail really terrific. Thank you so much.
itis a difficult choice for hotels/hostals as I'm governed by price.I've also been looking at Hostal Aresol, Persal, ALhambra and San Lorenzo but I'm unsure if all those areas are OK for 2 women at night. Can you recommend any of these? many thanks
Old May 21st, 2003, 12:12 AM

Maribel
youradvice is invaluable and everything in youremail really terrific. Thank you so much.
It is a difficult choice for hotels/hostals as I'm governed by price.I've also been looking at Hostal Aresol, Persal, Alhambra and San Lorenzo but I'm unsure if all those areas are OK for 2 women at night. Can you recommend any of these? many thanks
Old May 22nd, 2003, 07:06 PM

To the top
Old May 22nd, 2003, 07:28 PM

sue,
Your files are on their way!

clbc,
I think I'd book the Persal, which is more like a hotel than hostal-nice lobby, front desk, breakfast room with buffet brk. included in the rate, elevator, A/C, on a well lit plaza which gets lots of pedestrian traffic, right above the 4 star Melia Reina Victoria, everthing in Old Madrid easily walkable from there, lots of tapas bars in and around Plaza Santa Ana plus those on the Cava Baja.
Old May 26th, 2003, 03:00 PM

Maribel,

I've gone thru your files on Seville & Madrid and they are a terrific source of information. Thank you so much for taking the time to send them.

Old May 26th, 2003, 04:37 PM

Maribel,

You mentioned you have a file on Segovia also. I'd appreciate a copy of that too!

Thanks in advance..... Susan
Old May 26th, 2003, 04:38 PM

Hi sue,
It's actually Avila-Segovia-Salamanca, but I'll send it on and you can cut out the stuff you don't need.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO