Marche St. Pierre, Paris

Apr 14th, 2002, 05:49 AM
A. Boniwell

Marche St. Pierre, Paris

Can anyone tell me if this market is open on a Sunday or Monday? One of my guides says it is closed on Monday and the other one says closing day is Sunday. Unfortunately, I'll only be in Paris these two days,so I need to know which day the stalls will be closed

Apr 14th, 2002, 06:02 AM
Julie

I consulted my Paris market bible, "Paris in a Basket" that seems pretty thorough on the subject and cannot even find mention of a St. Pierre market. The closest I can come is the Salpetriere market in the 13th which doesn't have a very charming description I'm afraid. If its that one, it is not open on either Sunday or Monday. In fact, Monday is the closing day for all Paris markets, so if you intend to go to one you'll need to plan on it for Sunday. Where will you be staying? Perhaps there is another market open on Sunday that you can attend. Since the metro tends to make most anything accessible, you might want to consider the following markets that are open on Sunday and are quite good--Rue Montorgeuil in the 2nd, Rue Mouffetard and in the 5th, Raspail in the 6th which is very big on Sunday, Rue Cler in the 7th, Richard Lenoir in the 11th, Auguste Blanqui in the 13th, Convention in the 15th, Joinville in the 19th. E-mail me if I can be of more definite help. I think markets are the very best thing to do in Paris. They inevitably lead to explorations that get you much deeper into the real city.

Apr 14th, 2002, 06:25 AM
monbeam

My books say it is open Monday thru saturday

Apr 14th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Christina

That isn't a food market, but a fabric store (indoors, although they put some fabric out on ground level outside). They also sell notions, buttons, and stuff related to fabric industry, also. It is definitely closed Sunday and open Mondays, but only in afternoon from 1:30. It opens at 10 Tu-Sat.

Apr 14th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Joanne

Are you looking for a food market or a flea market?
This one isn't really a market. It's a small area in Montmartre (at the foot of the hill leading up to Sacre Coeur) where there are numerous shops which sell fabric and notions (tassels, pillow forms, buttons, etc). You can get some great fabric (fashion/designer fabric, upholstery, etc.) here at better prices than here at home. Last time I went I got some beautiful cut velvet and a toile-like pattern of butterflies which I plan to have made into a slipcover for a chair.
If you're in Montmartre, take a quick look. (Metro station: Anvers.) Otherwise, go to the huge (HUGE) flea market at Porte de Clignancourt, especially since you have only two days. You'll especially enjoy it if you are interested in furniture.
Have a great time!