Reload this Page >

March in Sicily and Amalfi Coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 02:19 PM
phoebe

Is it true that many hotels/restaurants, ferries are closed in Sicily and the Amalfi Coast in March? Thank you!

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 06:40 PM
Kay

We stayed in Sorrento in March this year and visited Positano, Amalfi and Ravello. Shops, restaurants, hotels all seemed to be open. Buses and trains were running but I think in peak summer season they may have more ferries operating.<BR>Kay

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 07:48 PM
phoebe

Thank you for your response , Kay. Do you think it's too cold to swim that time of year? In the sea and/or in a hotel pool?

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 07:57 PM
carol

I definitely think it's too cold to swim in the sea in March. The sea was still pretty cold in the Aeolian Islands when I was there in May.<BR><BR>There was a post earlier this week by that person who posts with initials in caps who gives very good info about southern Italy. He/she said that hotels in cities in Sicily are open year-round, but that many hotels in seashore resorts are closed in the off season.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 02:35 AM
Kay

Phoebe,<BR>definitely too cold to swim, unless in an indoor heated pool. In March we wore polar fleeces, long trousers, scarves and, on occasion, rain jackets. The wind was quite cold.<BR>We found it a good time of year for travelling in Italy as we do lots of walking and we didn't get too hot but it didn't rain much either, but not a good time to go if you want to swim.<BR>Kay

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 04:54 AM
Amy

Definitely too cold to swim in March. However, this past March we were in Amalfi/Sorrento for a week, and only needed a jacket at night. The rest of the time it was short sleeves, no jacket. Be aware that the weather does vary quite drastically from one week to the next at that time of year.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Davidx

Sicily was fine in February 2001 so I find it hard to believe there is much of a problem in March. E-mail me if you want a copy of my notes on Sicily.