March in London

Feb 17th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Rachel L.
March in London

A friend and I are headed to London for a week in March. Any suggestions of the best stuff to do at that time. Also, what type of clothes should we pack (as in warm, cold, rainy, umbrella, etc.)? Thanks.
Feb 17th, 2002, 01:03 PM
You got it! Layers and an umbrella!
We were there at the end of March, every day was beautiful but one, in the 50's but windy.I took lots of long sleeve tees,sweaters,cardigans, coat, and gloves, waterproof boots that were great for a lot of walking.We only needed the umbrella for maybe a couple of hours.
We like to go antiquing wherever we are, and there are a few great places in London.Also, Sloan St/Kings Rd is good shopping, the General Trading Co was fun, great for small gifts and house thingys.Covent Garden is great for shopping, walking ,eating ,there are good cinemas there.Then you must know what museums you want to see,try to see at least on play,or go to St Martins in the Fields in the evening and hear a concert...It is so lovely there in the spring, the flowers are coming up everywhere, it is a great city,have fun~c
Feb 17th, 2002, 03:44 PM
We were in London in march. You definately need layers. It can be quite pleasant if the sun is out in the afternoon but can cool down in a hurry.
One different sort of outing was a walk through the park that is right by the London Zoo. We actually walked throught the zoo, which was small but fun.
The Portrait musueum is apparently not to be missed.
Feb 17th, 2002, 09:29 PM
I was there in the last week of March and everyday but one was rainy. Only the daffodils were peeking up in Hyde Park -- not even the tulips had ventured out yet. Temp was about 50 in the daytime, 40 at night, and don't ever venture out without your umbrella.

What to do -- what interests you? London has everything world class: history, museums, theatre, shopping, you name it.
Feb 18th, 2002, 07:17 AM
Good advice all round. I’ve been to London 4-5 times in March and I like it because things are relatively calm, short lines, etc. although there seems to be some sort of major European holiday for students every time I’m in that city during late March, early April.

As to the weather, my best solution was to buy a waterproof windbreaker, complete with hood, which folds into its own rather compact carrying case that I can sling over my shoulder or hook to my belt. Bought it from Sierra Trading Post. Umbrellas are awfully easy to leave behind in a shop or on the bus or the Tube. Besides, they’re nearly worthless when the wind howls.

As perhaps a way to gauge things, I find the weather in London in March much more pleasant than, say, New York City.

Seems like when I’ve been in London there’s been at least some sun everyday, though in 2000 we had rain, sleet, snow, fog, and sun in a single afternoon.

It might also help to remember that in London it might rain all day with a total accumulation of less than a quarter of an inch of precipitation (if that much), whereas a good rain here (at least back when it used to rain) in the Midwest is 2-3 inches. The point being that, even if you’re only slightly damp, when a hard north wind kicks up and whips down the streets it can be rather miserable. Then the only solution is to pop into a pub for a pint and a warm fire.

Search this Thread