Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Definition of England, Wales, Scotland, N Ireland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 05:57 AM
wondering

I don't mean to sound completely ignorant about this, but I'm still confused about the geographical status of the England, Wales, Scotland, and N Ireland. Are they considered "countries" under the one flag of Great Britain? Are they "provinces"? "regions"?

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 07:05 AM
wes fowler

England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland constitute the United Kingdom.<BR>Don't concern yourself with "ignorance"; Norman Davies, a British historian, Fellow of the British Academy, Professor Emeritus of the University of London and Supernumerary Fellow of Wolfson College, Oxford,recently published a rather unorthodox history of the United Kingdom. He, too, wondered what to call the place and ended up titling his history "The Isles" then spent a number of pages trying to rationalize the differences between England, Britain, Great Britain and the United Kingdom.<BR><BR>For a clearer picture of what's what, you might want to explore the two volumes of Simon Schama's "A History of Britain", a delightful and informative read loaded with anecdote.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 07:14 AM
egg

They are all countries and are part of the United Kingdom. The British Isles are the whole archipelago including Ireland, the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands etc. The biggest island is Great Britain and includes England, Scotland and Wales.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 07:15 AM
ohno

I suggest you don't bring this question up in any of the countries mentioned,especially Scotland.The island is so ridiculously small but the inhabitants are ever so proud of theit individual histories-I remember when for a while Scotland really wanted to be independent of England!The others would like that too-they just about tolerate the Royal family!

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 07:16 AM
wondering

Thank you...now I don't feel quite so stupid on this subject. <BR><BR>I've never been anywhere in the UK other than London (yet)...what do you encounter when you cross "borders" within the UK? Is there anything more than a sign?

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 07:21 AM
ohno

Yeah,they strip search you and keep your passport!No you may spot a sign or two,blink and you'll have to turn around and go back to where you started!