Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

March 2006- Little time to plan- What would you do with 4 days in Norway?

Feb 23rd, 2006, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

I need some advice for a last minute trip to Oslo starting on March 10th. Since it is winter and we only have 4 days should we plan to stay in Oslo or try to rent a car and do some exploring of the country on our own? We are quite adventurous but I worry about the road conditions....if the country is as snowy as I am imagining. I know that daylight hours are limited as well this time of year, but we are still excited to visit and hope to see and experience as much as we can. I have read a few posts and would be interested in trying to incorporate Norway in a Nutshell as it is already planned and would provide us with great scenery but I think we would like more flexibility. Since this trip is so last minute should I worry about hotels being full? I would really appreciate any suggestions on itinerary, places to visit, great restaurants, hotels.... anything and everything to help maximize our time in Norway. Thanks
Feb 23rd, 2006, 05:06 PM

I would take organized tours from the city center.
Traveled there in August and the roads are very windy and narrow, I couldn't imagine it in the winter months. We took the scenic route and only averaged 35 miles per hour. Also, it is very, very expensive. But, very, very beautiful.
Feb 24th, 2006, 02:13 AM
Original Poster

I think we are going to take the Norway in a Nutshell tour, any others we should look at? I read that Norway is very expensive. Could you give me an example? We visited Iceland last year and I was imaging Norway to be similar in cost. Thanks again.
Feb 24th, 2006, 04:08 AM

Norway in a nutshell is a great tour! Great for time limitations and you see quite a bit.

In Oslo: Vigelundspark (the sculpture park) is my favorite place in the city. The Munch Museet is also really interesting, but only if you like the artist. I went twice!

The National Museum has a really great permanent collection featuring Scandinavian artists that you won't see outside of that area.

Eat some brunost (brown cheese) for breakfast! It is cheese's answer to chocolate!

I have not been in Norway since 2000, so I don't know prices.
Feb 24th, 2006, 04:12 AM

I think that is a very good comparison.
We had a 14" pizza and 4 glasses of coke in a very small bar, in the basement of our small hotel and it was equivalent to 45.00 dollars. This was about 35 kilometers east of Bergen. But, we had a wonderful buffet breakfast, before getting on the ferry, at the Raddison for about 20.00 dollars. We don't drink, but I think someone told me liquor was very expensive.
Feb 24th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. I think we are definately going to do the Norway in a Nutshell route and spend one or two nights along the way. Any suggestion as to where to stay (town/hotel)? We plan to begin and end in Oslo. The sculpture garden looks great, although in March I'm sure it's covered in snow.... With the weather being so cold I know we will be visiting a few museums... thanks for the tips. Can't wait to try brown cheese! Any other comments or tips are greatly appreciated.
Feb 25th, 2006, 06:22 AM

Stop for a meal at Peppe's Pizza and you won't be disappointed - one in both Oslo and Bergen (and if you can't get enough, at the airport as well). We did both Norway and Iceland a few years ago and found Iceland to be a *bit* more expensive. If you're looking for an overnite on the 'nutshell' trip, consider the Stalheim hotel-the road up to it is simply breathtaking (lots of hairpin turns), while the views from the hotel even more breathtaking. ENJOY!