Marbella or Torremolinos

Jul 10th, 2001, 03:02 PM
Nancy

Marbella or Torremolinos

My husband and I want to go to Spain in Oct or Nov. We have a choice between Torremolinos and Marbella with Saga or Sun HOliday. We do not care for beach activities but do enjoy the location. We are more in to exploring a town, shops, sites, culture. Where do you recommend? Also, is Oct or Nov better weather; we are in HOT Texas and prefer it COOLER! Thanks!

Jul 12th, 2001, 11:58 AM
Lesley

Nancy, in our family Torremolinos is known as Torridmolinos. It is a big and brash and not very Spanish resort, a bit like Benidorm if you know that. Marbella is a much nicer place, but an awful lot gets called Marbella when it can be up to 10 miles away. In the centre of Marbella is a small old area which is very pretty. It won't be very hot in either Oct or Nov.

Jul 12th, 2001, 01:08 PM
Maira

Torremolinos is a big concrete block laying next to the Mediterranean, not much character. Hands downs, Marbella should be your choice. Between October and November, October is a better month, although I was in Andalucia in early November once and it was not that bad; more rainy than October of course. If what you like is exploring towns, sites and culture, you have selected a prime destination for that. Rent a car; it is the perfect way to truly enjoy Southern Spain. Practice some Spanish while in TX, you are going to need it .

Jul 14th, 2001, 06:52 AM
sandie

Definitely Marbella. Will win hands down any time. Lovely marina, Mijas is very pretty to see. (Pronounced Mee-has ) Lovely hotels and superb golf if you are in to that.
Enjoy

Jul 14th, 2001, 09:03 AM
Ursula

Nancy:
Torremolinos is one of less attractive places I've ever seen. Definitely Marbella! What a charming pedestrian center, especially in the morning at the "Plaza de los Naranjos" (The Oranges' Square).
In the evening, it's extremely crowded, a lot of restaurants, bars, shops around. Dinner time is earliest around 10 p.m. for locals. Do not miss either Porto Banus. I have never seen so many beautiful yachts in my life.
Mijas looked very appealing as well too many. I only know the two golf courses "Lagos" and "Los Olivos" nearby.

Jul 14th, 2001, 09:08 AM
Ursula

.. sorry, I mean "looked very appealing to me".

I just remember a hotel resort in Mijas my sister is very fond of. It's called "Villa Lara", if I remember well.