Marais vs. St. Germain - Can't decide?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The more and more research I do on Fodors, the more I keep changing my mind. My sister and I were originally going to stay in the 6th ... but after reading reviews on the Marais (4th) area ... we've been thinking about changing places.

Background on our travel plans:
~we will be arriving Paris from Avignon via train
~we will be deparing Paris from CDG
~we are interested in:
Shopping
Cafes
Eiffel Tower
Notre Dame
Arc de Triomphe/Avenue Des Champs Elysees
Marais
St. Germain-des- pres
Possibly Monmarte
~looking to keep price below $150USD
~Quaint, charming, character (hotel wise)

We will be in Paris only 2 nights in August.

As far as hotels go ... I've made inquires to:

Hotel de Fleurie: Received email back: 1 standard room w/ Queen Bed & bath/shower 170Euro. I asked if they had any promotional rates and they said 'not at this time'

Hotel St. Germain: for a classic room (190 Euro)

Prices seem a bit high to me for 'August' .....

Any ideas on Hotel Louis II?

We also would like to be close enough to a metro that takes us to CDG. From what I've read on other posts ... St. Germain des pres metro only had 1 line (and doesn't go straight to CDG)???

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old Feb 20th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Ok, I found a rate of 135 Euros at Hotel de fleurie ... the room is a "single room with large bed." I'm assuming 'large bed' does not mean twin? My sister and I don't mind if we have to share a bed. They offered us a rate of 170Euro for a standard room w/Queen bed.

This location seems to be the best to explore the 4th, 5th and 6th. Hotel de Fleurie also gets good reviews on Fodors and Tripadvisor.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 10:33 AM

My advice: take it easy. Both areas are in the heart of Paris, close to a number of métros... and you're only there for 2 days.
In this time of year, I would ask for A/C, or, at least, to be on a quiet street. Hôtel de Fleurie is 30 meters from very busy boulevard Saint-Germain, and sleeping with an open window could be painful if you are light sleepers. On the other hand, there are no boulevards in the Marais, just small streets, but very busy with loud pedestrians in the summer time. So, I would say that, more than the area, A/C is the determining factor.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 10:47 AM

You might try venere.com for good discounts in August.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 10:48 AM

My vote - If it's your first trip to Paris, stay on St Germain. If not, stay in Marais.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 11:26 AM

I don't think it really matters whether you stay in the Marais or St Germain, they are both fine, and perhaps you are worrying about that too much.

As for hotel rates, many hotels do have discounted rates in August, but you can't say whether those rates are too high for August without knowing their regular rates. And some hotels don't give August discounts, perhaps those that have more tourists in that period and don't have a need to.

As for the bed size in a single room. If it is translated as large bed, it should be a double, but that is irrelevant because a hotel is not going to allow two people to stay in a room called a single and get a single rate. So forget that. If they have specific rooms labeled singles, that is for one person. You can't camp out in a hotel as you wish, it's not up to you.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 11:32 AM

marais is much preferred but either area is convenient to everything.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 11:53 AM

The St Germain metro doesn't go to CDG, nor does any metro line.
It is the RER line that goes to CDG, specifically RER-B3. That line has a stop at St Michel, which is between St Germain and Latin Quarter, Luxembourg - St Germain/Latin Quarter or Chatelet-les Halles on the Right Bank. Any of those RER stops also connects with at least 1 metro line so it isn't that hard to get to the RER.

Please review the metro/RER map especially the north/south line marked RER-B and those stations I mentioned.
<u>http://www.ratp.info/informer/anglais/index.php#</u>

Some hotels with twin rooms and a/c in this area are:
Hotel Dacia - http://www.dacia-paris-hotel.com/
Hotel Clement - http://www.hotel-clement.com/
Abbatial St Germain - www.abbatial-paris-hotel.com

These fall in your price range, and I remember them as having good comments here and on Tripadvisor (and maybe Venere.com, too).
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 11:55 AM

Coincidentally, I just read a review of Hotel Louis II on trip advisor. The rates are very good, great location near St. Sulpice etc...

The reviews were not great so you might want to read them first. Have fun.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses. After more research, we've decided to stay in the Marais section. We are thinking of staying at Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais. I've sent an email so hopefully they respond.

I've read it books fast .. our trip is not until August so I'm hoping I'm early enough.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 04:47 PM

Either area, to me, would be good for a firsttime visit.

I have not stayed in any of the hotels you mentioned. But I've read the mixed comments about the Louis II at Trip Advisor. Also the rooms personally I find to be a bit frumpy with outdated bathrooms. The Fleurie looks nice but the standard rooms will be tiny (about 12 sq. meters at most). Sharing a tiny room is not much fun. I've read good things about the Caron de Beaumarchais but their rooms are small as well. Front rooms come with a small balcony which I'm not sure you can actually sit on. The rates for the front rooms naturally cost more than the rooms in the back of the hotel. However, in August, since it's low season, you may get a nice discount.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 04:56 PM

Please do be intimidated in the least by the notion that one location is &quot;preferred&quot; over the other. Both locations are obviously &quot;preferred&quot; by the people who stay in them and both are equally good for the first time or the fiftieth time IMO.

I agree with Christina and I am also the one who enjoys staying in the Marais. The BIG issue would be air conditioning in Paris in HUMID August..you will be glad you insisted on it.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 11:53 PM

intrepid, i fail to see why it is intimidating for me to say that i prefer marais...indeed, you said exactly the same thing...that you prefer marais.

normally when someone shares the same perspective, they just agree, rather than being argumentative.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 12:28 AM

The Marais has somewhat more charm than Saint Germain, I think, but the difference is small.

All areas of Paris are well served by the M&eacute;tro and thus close to the sights; you need not choose your hotel with worries about that. Both the Marais and Saint Germain are quite central as well.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 12:44 AM

A close friend has been going out with a Parisian for the last few years. When i go over, we always hang out in the marais area - parisians think St Germain far too touristy....

But as others have rightly noted,
a) St Germain &amp; Marais are not that far apart
b) Most important thing is to ensue you have A/C to deal with the sticky paris summer...
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 01:11 AM

Is the AC an issue in early October ?
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 02:58 AM

October is usually a very pleasant month with cool fall temperatures..we always leave a window slightly ajar and are comfortable at night. Daytimes generally require long sleeves and a light jacket.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the responses. I've just booked at Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais .... and we will most certainly make sure to visit St. Germain area.