marais apartment with kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2008, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI I am likely going to be in Paris in mid July travelling with my 2 kids (9 and 11). I have been to Paris once, for 3 days last year, and my kids have never been. I really liked the Marais but only saw it in one afternoon. My husband and I stayed in St. Germain and found it a bit high end and artificial.
My question is what part of the Marais is the best? We loved the Jewish delis and the old streets and I would like to be near great bakeries, fruit stores etc for shopping. A park nearby is an asset. I think the kids will love Ile St. Louis as well as touring the Seine and just being out and about. They both are in French Immersion and their French is quite good so it will be exciting for them to be able to speak French in shops etc. They are great travellers but not the best for LONG walks. So location is very important to keep everyone happy!
I am looking at a place on vacationinparis.com - marais garden - on Rue St. Antoine. Another is on Square Ste. Catherine near Vosges. Neither of these has bathtubs - hard to find I know but that would make it ideal. It's also nice to have some sort of outlook. We are trying to do this on a budget (under $200 per night would be good). So we don't need designer decor just charming clean bright and comfy beds! Other options are more Beaubourg - rue Chapon near Metro Rambuteau. Is this too far away from things? (that one is RentParis.com) There are others in the 3rd near Arts et Metiers. (rue Notre Dame de Nazareth) I don't think I should list them all but need a general sense of the best area to pinpoint my search.
I'd appreciate any tips/advice. I have been looking at so many sites and places my head is spinning.
Thanks!

Old May 21st, 2008, 09:12 PM

You may want to check Paris Address (www.parisaddress.com). They have quite a few Marais properties as well as other apartments in other districts. Their rates are quite reasonable as is their terms.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:30 AM

We rented an apartment in Paris for two weeks in the Marais and loved it. Personally, I'd stay more near the Place des Voges (try a restaurant nearby called "Chez Janou&quot... or over a shop on Rue des Rosiers (We met people staying there...not sure how they found it). I would avoid the area near Rambuteau. It is further... and just not as nice (tho we shopped often on this street). I'd stay anywhere east of Rue des Archives.

There is a small village area "St Paul" on the Place des Voges side of the Seine... but heading towards Ile St. Louis. It is behind the church of the same name. There are several basketball courts... my kids (and husband) loved to play pickup with the local kids.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 06:57 AM

Rue St Antoine is the main road between Bastille and the Hotel de Ville. As such, it is full of shops, but if the apartment faces the street, noise may be an issue (if it's "côté cour", it should be quiet enough). Place Ste Catherine is a quiet pedestrian square (though it has several restaurants, so there may be some noise at closing time), just around the corner from rue St Antoine.

If you're talking about the apartment next to the Hotel Sully, it's slightly nearer the place des Vosges, but they're both pretty well placed for public transport - you have buses along rue St Antoine as well as metro St Paul reasonably close.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips! We are not basketball players but my kids would love to hang out and meet with local children in a park.
So I will concentrate my search in the area around St. Paul/St Antoine near Place des Vosges and forget about places near Rambuteau.
One other question - is it very safe at night if I am coming in with the kids in the dark...
The place on Rue St Antoine is supposedly in the back so I guess noise won't be too bad....I do like the idea of being near bus routes - so we can sightsee as we travel to our destination.

Anyone stayed in a good one bedroom place around here? I have seen something on homeholidays - loftinparis.com and wonder if this is a reputable company/individual. They seem to have apartments right at Place des Vosges.

A lot of the apartments are weekly but we are looking for 5 days. If the weekly rate is reasonable I guess I could just book for the week and only stay 5 days.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:37 PM
blh

We stayed at this apartment http://www.vrbo.com/79965 in the Marais last May. It was a really nice apartment - one bedroom with two twin size beds in the living room that double for sofas (which would be great for your kids). The owners live upstairs and are great to work with - very helpful. There is a patisserie on one corner and a grocery store on another other corner. It's just a block from Place des Vosges and one block from the metro. It is very spacious and could easily accommodate a family. However, the website states that it rents by the week (800&euro. I would contact the owners and inquire about a five day rental. It appears that it is open from July 18-31st (which may not work for your dates).
Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

wow what a lovely place. It would have been perfect but sadly we will already be back at home when it becomes available! We are there from July 10 to 15th...
I will keep hunting but it is good to hear that you loved that neighbourhood. It is helping me stay focussed.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I stayed in a RentParis apartment on rue Chapon a few years ago (apartment #2). The apartment was very nice. Very convenient to metros at both Rambuteau and Arts et Metiers. Just a few blocks from the center of the Marais. The street itself is not full of shops and bakeries but is close to such streets.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 12:51 AM
wfg

We're currently staying in an apartment in the Marais on rue du Bourg-Tibourg. We rented with parisbestlodge and have been very satisfied with everything. The owner, Thierry, is excellent to deal with and there are many very positive comments from numerous countries on his website; all of which helped to convince us to deal with him. He's the owner and or manager of a number of apartments most of which would suit your budget. Alas our three weeks here come to an end tomorrow but when we return we will certainly deal with this company again. Best of luck.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 02:16 AM

To pick up on kpie's earlier question - all of the addresses that are being discussed are pretty well safe, not least because they are quite well populated in the evenings with people going to the restaurants and so on.

Around the Forum des Halles the other side of Rambuteau has a dodgier reputation for young troublemakers (on a fairly petty level), but that's some way away, and common sense should see you clear (besides, I don't suppose with 9/11 year olds you'll be out that late).

<i>Road</i> safety might be an issue with the youngsters - traffic can be both fast and heavy on rue St Antoine.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

HI I did get in touch with Thierry but he had nothing available for my dates. Patrick, yes I remember walking around Forum des Halles and not being enthralled. I have also found a place on rue des T ournelles (through holidaylettings.uk - farther west, closer to Le Bastille..but I think I might opt for the one nearer to St. Paul metro (rue st. Antoine in the back) despite the lack of a bathtub and no view at all. Just seems like the best location and appears quiet.

I'm thinking a ground floor place might be cooler in July!

Also anyone know about public swimming pools in Paris?
That might be fun on a hot day.