Reload this Page >

Maps! Before or After

Search

Maps! Before or After

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 10:08 AM
Deb

Maps! Before or After

We are traveling to the UK and Ireland in September and will be driving through England, Ireland, and Scotland. Is it best to get maps before we go? If yes, where can I find good road maps? Or is it just as easy and better to get them when we get over there?

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 10:22 AM
janis

The best driving map for the UK is a road atlas - from 3 to 4 1/2 inches to the mile. There are many good publishers - I prefer AA and Bartholmews but any will be good. If you have a large book store nearby (some Barnes & Nobles, Borders, Tower, etc) carry these. I is nice to have one before you get there to help get a feel for the roads, distances. <BR> <BR>But if you can't find one, they are EVERYWHERE in th UK, the airports, every news agent, Motorway service area, petrol station,. The last two I've bought were AA 4 in. to the mile that normally cost between £6 and £10 but were on special for £2 - these were two years apart so I think the £2 promotion is pretty common.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 10:24 AM
janis

I forgot to mention - the best ones cover both the UK and Ireland - Ireland is usually at the back of the book so check to make sure - then you only have to buy one.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 10:24 AM
Pedro

I have driven a lot around Europe and always have found Michelin Maps the best and most accurate to get around out there. So if there is any specific of the area you are planning to go ít would be probably the same to buy it online, in bookstores or here in Europe.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 10:31 AM
janis

oops again - of course I meant 3 to 4 1/2 miles to the inch. Michelins are very good - bur fairly pricey.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 10:32 AM
Donna

Deb, <BR> <BR>We have used Michelin Maps for England, Scotland and Ireland and have had great results as they show all the those little backroads that make driving so much fun. We pair the maps with the Michelin Green Guides and always get them well in advance so we can plan our route long enough ahead of time so we make sure we can see everything we're interested in.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 10:35 AM
Robin

I have a bit of a map fetish, so take this in that context, but I love to have the maps before I get there. Especially because you are driving, it should make the driver and navigitor feel more secure to get a sense of distance, regions, etc. That said, a good road atlas will probably cost you more here, and of course you have to pack it!