Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

The Danieli or the Gritti Palace in Venice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 03:53 AM
melissa

Help - looking for a knock your socks off romantic weekend in Venice with my husband this fall - which hotel would you choose and if you have room numbers to recommend with views, etc... please do!!!! <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 04:18 AM
Robin

Melissa, <BR> <BR>Sigh.....you'll just LOVE Venice!!! <BR> <BR>We stayed at The Bauer which is beside the Gritti Palace. If choosing between the Gritti Palace and the Danielli, I would have to recommend the Gritti Palace because it's further down the canal and away from all the noise outside the Danielli. Don't get me wrong, the Danielli looked beautiful too but it's smack dab in the middle of EVERYTHING and that area was just swarming with people, boats, etc. I was very glad we were a little further away from all the hub-bub because it was quieter in the area of the Bauer and Gritti Palace. If you had a room with a canal view at the Danielli I can't imagine how it wouldn't be noisy. <BR> <BR>Because we didn't stay at the Gritti Palace I can't recommend a room number but I will say, we had a room with a canal view...OMG...it's amazing!! I highly recommend you get a room with a view as long as you can swing it. To this day this was the most expensive room I've ever stayed in but I'll never forget it! <BR> <BR>I have heard that Venice can flood at certain times of the year. It was beautiful when I went in May 2000 but I can't speak for the weather in November. So the question is, if Venice floods is there a smell? If so, I bet you wouldn't want to open your windows to that canal view room! <BR> <BR>Regardless, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time there. It's an absolutely amazing city! Have a wonderful time! <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 05:51 AM
Ron

This past Spring, my wife and I spent a full week at the Danielli. We had a direct canal front room, and I must say that it was not noisy. We tend to get up early and it was wonderful to open the windows at 7:00 AM and watch the day workers coming in by vaporetto, the yachts flowing by, and the morning bustling of a city waking up. Looking directly across at San Giorgio and looking out the window down at Santa Maria Salute, are sights you won't forget. The irony regarding crowds is that the Danielli is sort of at the beginning of the tourist area, i.e., if you take a right when leaving the hotel you head toward most of the "must sees", but take a left and you head toward some non-tourist areas. <BR>The Gritti, the Bauer, and the Cipriani are all competitors of the Danielli, and all are gorgeous. The Danielli's views (get a direct canal front in the OLD BUILDING only: room #70 was ours) are simply wonderful. If you go to some museums, you will see the old Danielli building in some 16th century paintings! That alone is tough to beat. <BR>The rooms and the service were what you would expect. The price of course is a bit absurd, but for a one shot deal, it is something you'll always remember. <BR>Whichever you choose, you will enjoy it! <BR>Have a great trip.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 06:00 AM
Frank

Melissa: We stayed at the Europa Regina, directly next door to the Bauer. We walked through the lobby of both the Gritti and Danieli and it's a coin toss regarding which hotel is preferable. Based stricly on location, I would vote for the Gritti, quieter yet convenient to San Marco. Also the Gritti is actually on the Grand Canal while the Danieli is on the Lagoon. A vaporetto stop is conveniently located directly outside the Gritti. Don't discount the Bauer or the Europa Regina if you have a hard time getting the room you want (or get sticker shock) at the others. I belive the Gritti, Danieli and Europa are all part of the Starwood Hotel Group.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 06:09 AM
Marcie

I too have stayed at the Danieli and the Gritti. Both are nice, and I believe I'd opt for the Danieli of the two (really a coin toss). My favorite is the Europa & Regina. I'm sorry I don't recall our room number but we were upgraded to a large corner room with a HUGE balcony (the balcony was probably larger than our room)and a gorgeous view. It had table and 4 chairs where we'd sit out each morning for coffee. It was really fabulous and the entire hotel was great. It is the only room with this huge balcony so they will know which room you're requesting. The only thing (unless this has changed) is the room has two twin beds instead of one king/queen. This is the hotel I'd recommend over the others you're considering.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 06:14 AM
melissa

Thank you for all your helpful comments - it is a tough decision!

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 08:45 AM
Paul

I've also stayed at both, and love both hotels. The rooftop restaurant at the Danieli has great panoramic views in all directions, while at the Gritti you eat right on the Grand Canal. <BR> <BR>I agree that the Gritti area is much quieter than down by the Danieli. There's also a traghetto right next to the Gritti which goes across to Dorsoduro. <BR> <BR>One thing to keep in mind - a room with "Canal View" is not necessarily a view of the Grand Canal, and is most likely a side canal. You pay dearly for those rooms in the front! <BR> <BR>I think that you'll be happy whichever hotel you wind up with.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 01:13 PM
Surlok

I had once a balconied room at the Europa&Regina, overlooking the Grand Canal and Sta. Maria della Salutte. It was the most gorgeous view I ever had from a hotel room. <BR> <BR>Surlok

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 03:31 PM
Mary

Originally had a room booked at the Danieli but shortly before leaving the USA switched to Europa and Regina...good decision. It was beautiful and a better location than my original booking at the Danieli (had fun roaming around this hotel though seeing where I almost stayed)

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 05:41 PM
abby

We stayed in the Danielli in June and loved the old world feel of the hotel. We booked this at the last minute and didn't have a large room or a great view- but we still loved the hotel. The lobby is breathtaking. <BR> <BR>The bottom line is that whether you stay at the Gritti or the Danielli- you won't go wrong!

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 10:34 PM
Anna

Gritti Palace - for sure!! Really does feel like a palace! The lobby and public areas of the Danielli are stunning, but some of the bedrooms are a huge disappointment. It has a slight 'exclusive coach tour' feel about it, whereas the Gritti Plaace is so small that you will feel very special. Enjoy!!!

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 07:54 AM
melissa

You all have been great - this is what the forum is all about. I'm going to inquire about the balcony situation at the Europa & Regina and the Gritti - I think that way the decision will make itself. (I guess as we can see from this thread it would be hard to make a bad choice from any of them). Thanks!

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 10:52 AM
Rod Hoots

Reiterating a comment above, "canal view" doesn't mean you're facing the canal - you may have to stick your head out of the window and look sideways to see a canal. "Canal Front" should give you a room facing the canal - get it in writing by fax, signed by the manager!