Reload this Page >

Map Sources - Your favorite

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 1999, 08:51 AM
Marion

As I plan our Thanksgiving weekend in Belgium (Brussels based, day in Bruges for starters) I realized that I need a good map. Perhaps it's my "aging" eyes but the ones in Fodor's are just not good enough (sorry, but at least it's about my only complaint with this publisher's series!) Are there good maps with street names/details to download from the web? If so, what sites? Which publisher do you go to time and time again for a good city map be it Brussels or Rome or Paris or ...? Thanks for your response.

Old Nov 9th, 1999, 09:01 AM
Paulo

I'm satisfied with the Euro-City maps from GeoCenter ... have a bunch of them. <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 9th, 1999, 09:08 AM
elaine

Dear Marion, <BR>For years my favorite maps for major European cities have been <BR>"Streetwise ---". The website is <BR>www.streetwisemaps.com <BR>I don't know if they have one for Brussels or not. The maps are pocket-sized, laminated, and complete for 98% of the streets, with a useful <BR>listing of street names on the back. <BR>Thanks to a tip from this forum I recently learned about The Paris Map Guide. A thin booklet really. Includes excellent sightseeing information and maps of the Bois de Boulogne and Versailles. Each map page is a section of the city with excellent detail, but it is harder to get a geographic sense of the entire city at once. However, combined with the Streetwise Paris map, it was my new best friend because of the detail. <BR>Enjoy your trip. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 9th, 1999, 09:20 AM
Beth

I'm with Elaine, and really like Streetwise. I tried the Insight map for Rome which looks similar, but was not very accurate and was missing names of smaller alleys. Streetwise was incredibly accurate.

Old Nov 9th, 1999, 12:30 PM
richard j vicek

Good afternoon, Marion <BR> <BR>Try surfing (maps.expedia.com/) <BR>see what you think. <BR>Richard of Hickory Hills, Il...

Old Nov 9th, 1999, 12:45 PM
Mike Murphy

Before leaving the States, we get a couple of maps from www.mapquest.com for a general idea of the arrival city and environs. <BR> <BR>Once we arrive in Europe, we'll buy the "in country" version of the map(s) we'll need - usually at the airport or a well stocked gas station in route. They seem to have the "freshest" info.

Old Nov 9th, 1999, 01:13 PM
elvira

Paris: Paris par arrondissement, hands down, is the best street guide. Free maps from the Tourist Bureau give a good overview of the city, the main streets, tourist spots, and are disposable. <BR> <BR>London: Free maps from the Tourist Bureau are pretty comprehensive. <BR> <BR>Michelin maps for the countryside are excellent; the Green Guides refer to the maps for location. <BR> <BR>For Milan, I used a variety of maps I got from the web. That's where I'd start for any city I didn't know. I'd get free maps from the tourist bureaux, either ahead or when I got there. <BR> <BR>