Search

MAP OF PARIS??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2000, 03:16 PM
Terry

MAP OF PARIS??

Anyone know of websites where I can get a map of the city? I'm staying in the 5th Arr., and need a smallish map of the 5th, 6th, + general surrounding area of the Seine. I'd rather not look like the tourist unfolding the 3'X4' maps found in guidebooks. The "Jaunes Pages" mentioned earlier didn't help much. Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Old Jul 30th, 2000, 03:28 PM
wes fowler

Terry, <BR>An excellent map of Paris that's not obtrusive and unwieldy is the Michelin Paris plan Map No.11. It's in soft cover and measures 3 1/2 inches by 8 inches. All Metro stops are indicated on the map; bus routes, Metro and RER and SNCF lines are also given. Big bonuses are the layouts of CDG and Orly airports. It's available in any large bookstore or online from Amazon or Barnes and Noble.

Old Jul 30th, 2000, 03:31 PM
wes fowler

I should add that it's about a half inch thick, has over 190 pages, but weighs practically nothing. Scale is 1 cm: 100 m

Old Jul 30th, 2000, 05:22 PM
Bob Brown

If you want a small one make sure you get what Wes says. I have the #10 and it is quite large, but very very detailed. <BR>But, folks will know you are a tourist anyhow, so why be bashful about opening a map? My wife and I were so obviously American tourists that people in stores would speak English to us even when they couldn't. Unless you have a very, very sharp printer, you will not be happy with those pretty maps after you print them out.

Old Jul 30th, 2000, 06:58 PM
elvira

There is a book, smaller than a paperback, called Paris Par Arrondissement, which lists all the streets in alphabetical order, with corresponding maps for each arrondissement. The maps are complete; every street is shown and named, with the metro stations marked. <BR>You can buy them in tabacs, at magazine kiosks and news shops. I think you can buy them through amazon.com, but you'll pay shipping. Just buy it when you get there. <BR>

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 02:19 AM
Joan

Anybody heading to Paris should get the 'Streetwise Paris'. Small, plastic, easily folded, detailed.

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 04:37 AM
elaine

As mentioned above, Streetwise Paris, thin, water-resistant, complete for most of Paris, clear to read. This used to be my sole favorite, but I've learned it is even better to be combined with the Paris Map Guide, #3 below. Streetwise covers 90% of Paris in accurate, legible and complete detail. Your bookstore can order it from Streetwise maps, POB 2219, Amagansett NY 516 267 8617, or www.streetwisemaps.com. <BR>The Paris Map Guide. A thin booklet really. Includes excellent sightseeing information and maps of the Bois de Boulogne and Versailles. Each map page is a section of Paris with excellent detail, but it is harder to get a geographic sense of the entire city at once. <BR>On my most recent (October 99) trip to Paris, this publication which I'd bought for the first time, became my new best friend, and I plan on taking it and Streetwise when I go again this Dec. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 04:46 AM
Bob

I understand what you mean by not wanting to carry a map as big as you are. But no matter what you do you will look like a tourist. We found on our trip to Paris last April that we never walked down any street without meeting someone coming from the other direction looking at their map or guide book.

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 08:23 AM
Robin

I second Elvira's recommendation of Paris Par Arrondissement. It's small enough to fit in a coat pocket, and because it's broken up by arrondissement, you can refer to a small area quickly an unobtrusively, to avoid that tourist thing. Also, very important, it has EVERY street shown. I wore mine out and bought a new one this past trip. <BR> <BR>In London they have the same thing, London A to Z ("Ay to Zed" if you're asking for it!)

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 12:53 PM
Jim

Actually, if you are staying in Paris for more than a couple of days, I highly recommend getting the Fodors guide to Paris (no, I dont work for Fodors). In addition to great maps of just about any area of the city you want, I found the restaurant, sightseeing and subway guides invaluable. Its well worth the investment

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 09:29 PM
Terry

Thanks to all for the great suggestions.I see that Lonely Planet has an almost identical map to Streetwise Paris-- also plasticized, but not very durable and therefore cheaper. I'll stick w/ S P.