Search

Map of London

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 11:16 AM
Ian

Map of London

What is the best tourist map of London one can get in the United States? I am looking for something more or less detailed but manageable in size.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 01:46 PM
Ben Haines

Sorry that I do not know what you can buy in the US. But at a newsagents in your arrival airport you can buy for 3 pounds 50 pence the A-Z visitors London atlas and guide. It has the ISBN 0-85039-488-0, so you might check whether you can buy it your side, from Amazon. It measures 6 inches by 4, so slips into your pocket and is nearly weightless. Then when you reach London the ticket office in any tube station will give you the bus map of central London, convenient and free.<BR><BR>Please write if I can help further<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London<BR>

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 02:01 PM
Nancy

Haven't used the A-Z map but did use the Streetwise Paris map and there is one for London. I liked it because it was lightweight, covered all the metro (tube) stops, bus stops, and most of the sites along with showing all the streets. I thought it was excellent (only needed a larger map when I got outside the main area). The Streetwise along with the free tube map should be perfect. The map is available at Border's and probably Barnes &amp; Noble.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 03:27 PM
Alan

I've used both the Streetwise and Artwise London maps. Both are good but the Streewise was the most helpful. Almost every street I wanted to find was there, it's small and it's durable. It also covers the important areas of London that I wanted to see.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 08:56 AM
lynn

Just purchased the Streetwise London map costing roughly $6. The map is nice and fairly well detailed. The Streetwise map will be better than the one I used last year because it's laminated and will not get wet when you pull it out in the rain!

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 09:28 AM
Karen

Hi Ian,<BR><BR>Just to follow up on Ben's suggestion - The London A to Z guide is great, and it is sold in the US. At least, it's sold in the map store next to my office here in Washington, DC.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Erin

Ian-<BR>Barnes &amp; Noble does carry A-Z, if you are interested. Another suggestion would be to look up London Maps on Amazon.com. A lot of people post very good reviews about the different products, including pros and cons, and I've found the to be quite helpful. Good luck!

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 12:45 PM
Ian

Thank you everyone for your helpful responses. I would like to purchase a map prior to my departure, so I guess the nearby Barnes &amp; Noble should be my first option.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 12:59 PM
traveler

Studying a map of a place I plan to go to is part of the fun of going. I would never wait until I arrived there to get a map, if at all possible. You can always check to see what amazon.com has on line.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 01:02 PM
Mitch

Check out the Brookstone in your local mall. They have these great maps called InsideOut. The maps fold up into a little book, which includes a compass, pen and miniguide.<BR><BR>http://www.brookstone.com/shop/product.asp?product_code=INSIDE_MAP&amp;search_typ e=search&amp;search_words=insideout<BR>

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 01:08 PM
lou

I like the London MapGuide. It is in a booklet format, small enough to fit into a purse or pocket. Easier to handle than a full-sized map. A little smaller than the London A to Z, so it may be less complete but it had all the streets I needed on it. You can find it at Border's and Barnes and Noble.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 01:36 PM
Ryn

Order the pocket A to Z from Amazon.co.uk. Even with shipping, it won't cost much, probably no more than $20. It is definitely the best map series for London.