Your Favorite London Map?

Dec 26th, 2004, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Your Favorite London Map?

I am looking for a good map of London for my 17 year old daughter making her first trip there with a school group. One that shows the major sights/sites and the public transports would be ideal. TIA.
Dec 26th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

One more request: if you have it please include the ISBN in your reply. Thanks.
Dec 26th, 2004, 08:31 AM

I've been very happy with my Streetwise London map. It includes a Tube map, but I found that the actual Tube map (which she can pick up at the airport or any station) was a bit easier to use. I don't have an ISBN for the Streetwise map, but do a quick search on Amazon and you'll find it.
Dec 26th, 2004, 09:10 AM

My personal favorite is the comprehensive, pocket version of the A t0 Z. All major churches, museums and other notable buildings and sites are pictured on the map.

I urge you to do a search for a previous thread on just this same subject; there are many good maps and a wealth of opinion and information about them. I hope your daughter enjoys her trip
Dec 26th, 2004, 10:20 AM

When my neice was living in London a couple of years ago, she swore by the London A-Z. I think someone posted that they have different sizes available because I had complained that the print was so small on the one my neice had that I couldn't ready it...ah hem...I guess being of a "certain age" I need the bigger print or a magnifying glass. Anyway, she carried it with her all the time and said it was just great.
Dec 26th, 2004, 10:27 AM

The A to Z maps are the best, but I think for a school trip (I'm assuming it's just for a few days) the Streetwise will be just fine and smaller to carry around.
Annette
Dec 26th, 2004, 10:39 AM

Major sights and public transports on one page:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/tourist.pdf

With a Daily or Weekly Bus Pass, you can see the whole area for pennies (or nuppence) a day.
Dec 26th, 2004, 10:40 AM

With or without an A to Z, Streetwise is great for a general overview, and it is laminated, folds easily, and is pocket-sized
A to Z (pronunced 'zed' by the way) is a lot of detail, more suited for the explorer than the group participant I think.
Another excellent resource (along with the Streetwise) is the London Mapguide by Middleditch. It is a thin booklet with street listings, tube map, a little tourist info on the famous sights, and more detail than Streetwise but not as much as A to Z.
Dec 26th, 2004, 12:51 PM

Adding to elaine's post, the Mapguide also shows bus routes.
Dec 26th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your review of the London maps. I just made an excursion to the mall on other business and stopped in B+N to see what is on the shelf. Your descriptions of Streetwise and A to Z are right on. In fact, I think that A to Z should be called A to Z and Beyond. I didn't see Mapguide. But
Dec 26th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your reviews of the London maps. I just made an excursion to the mall on other business and stopped in B+N to see what is on the shelf. Your descriptions of Streetwise and A to Z are right on. In fact, I think that A to Z should be called A to Z and Beyond. I didn't see Mapguide.

Streetwise looks like the right one for my daughter for this trip. But then I saw the Lonely Planet London map. It is similar in design, laminated and accordian fold, but seems to be better organized than Streetwise. I have just looked at the Amazon.com reviews of Lonely Planet's map and a couple of reviewers were very negative, while others gave it 5 stars. Is it out of date, and if so, how seriously? I like the way it shows the entire city and then zooms in with maps going down to the theatre district. I would appreciate any comments from those who have good or bad experiences with LP's London map. TIA, again.

Dec 26th, 2004, 02:17 PM

I second Elaines recommendations. I have the London Streetwise and Mapguide by Michael Middleditch as well as the Paris..they are all I ever needed. I do buy the Access guides for information, but for maps, those are my favorites! and they have all the Tube stops and info too!
Computer dummy wants to know-what is an ISBN ?
Dec 26th, 2004, 02:25 PM

The London Mapguide is available from amazon.com if you want it
Dec 26th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Scarlett,

ISBN is "international standard book number" or somethng like that. Each edition of every book carries a unique number. ISBN has been around for a couple of decades but has nothing to do with computers per se.

Thanks for your response, and to everyone else.

Dec 26th, 2004, 04:39 PM

Thanks, I should have known to just google it..which I did and of course!!that is what that means! LOL

Lately, everytime I don't understand something, I think it must be about computers
I looked but all the guide books that are out right now are Paris books, so those numbers will be useless for you.
Barnes and Noble carries the Streetwise and Mapguides as well as Access.
How great for your daughter to be able to do this
Jan 3rd, 2005, 02:12 PM

I LOVED using my Mapguide (published in 2000 by Penguin Books). We took the bus all over the city, thanks to this map. And it had lots of info on the popular tourist sites (opening hours, admission, etc)- I rarely had to take out my Fodors book. The best part was that it wasn't laminated. So before we left I marked locations of restaurants I had read about online. Wherever we were when hunger struck, I knew where to find a good place to eat nearby.
Aug 1st, 2005, 01:16 PM

Tube (Underground), bus, river, and road maps http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/maps-home.shtml

The Interactive Map will get you a neighborhood map for every Tube station to download to your PDA! (Or print out, if you're a dead-tree lugger.)
Oct 4th, 2005, 06:01 PM

Does the London A-Z map include details of the neighborhoods (say, Zones 2-3), or does it concentrate only on Central London?

I'm interested in a street map that hones in on the neighborhoods but can't tell the level of detail for the A-Z from www.amazon.com

Thanks -
Oct 4th, 2005, 08:39 PM

I've bought a few maps in my time...I love maps, and the one we've gotten over and over again (London, Paris and Rome) are the Streetwise maps. They have very detailed street maps without it being too much information (large and small "major" sites are always well marked , along with a Tube/Metro map that is very convenient.

Happy travels,

Jules

Jules
Oct 4th, 2005, 08:50 PM

Here's another huge recommendation for the MapGuide.

With most hotels, and many restaurants and shops, annotated, you can hardly get lost or go the wrong direction.

Unbelievably awesome, however, is a PDA and Vindigo for London. You can enter the intersection where you are, select a restaurant, museum, shop, etc. and get detailed walking directions (along with the distance). This gave us walking directions to place on a street I could not find on any of the three maps I had along.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO