Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Mandatory travel insurance for Schengen visa

Mandatory travel insurance for Schengen visa

Mar 4th, 2013, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Mandatory travel insurance for Schengen visa

I am about to apply from India for a Schengen visa for our family of 5. There is this mandatory Schengen insurance certificate which is required to be submitted along with the visa application.

Prior to reaching Schengen countries, I am visiting Dubai for 4 days and UK for 20 days (Schengen for 33 days). My question is if I buy the Schengen insurance, i need to buy again separate insurance for UK and Dubai. Though it is not mandatory, I will be buying it.

Should I look for one insurance policy which covers my all three destinations or buy separate? Or one combined insurance for UK and Schengen? Any suggestions on the best policy offers which can take care of my requirements both mandatory schengen and others.
Mar 4th, 2013, 05:20 AM

You should be able to buy suitable health insurance which covers your entire trip.
Consider cancellation, loss and theft insurance too. You should be able to get a single travel insurance which covers the lot - cheaper than doing it all separately.
Mar 4th, 2013, 03:10 PM

www.insuremytrip.com is a clearing house type of site with a lot of travel insurance products from different companies.
Mar 4th, 2013, 03:26 PM

Buy trip insurance in your home country for all your destinations. Most policies sold in UK are only for UK permanent residents, and in case of medical repatriation, you will be sent back to UK rather than your home country. Also you have to apply for your Schengen visa in your country, and you have to show your insurance policy as part of your supporting documents.
Mar 4th, 2013, 04:47 PM

You can buy one single policy that will cover your for the entire trip ... and some Travelex policies will cover the children for free. You can buy "zero-line" coverage ($0 cancellation insurance) for a extremely reasonable price, or even $500 of clx insurance per person (which gives you some valuable protection in the case of trip interruptions or delays.

Check out http://tinyurl.com/cyps7xw

Search this Thread