Manchester Layover

Search

Manchester Layover

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2003, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manchester Layover

I have a 4 hour layover in Manchester on my way up to Edinburgh. I'll arrive at 8:00 in the morning (May 15th - a Thursday). Is 4 hours enough time to do a little exploring? If so, any recommendations? <BR><BR>Since I only paid $349 for rt tix Chicago/Edinburgh I can't complain about the layover. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.<BR><BR>~ Sheryl<BR><BR>
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 06:53 AM
Maira

Sheryl--- to be totally honest, Manchester looked to me no different than a town in New Jersey (USA). Devoid of any special charm, I thought it was a rather dull place. We flew out of Manchester and it was one of the most chaotic airport departure scenes we ever experienced (pre 9/11). I strongly suggest you allow plenty time for check-in.

Old Mar 30th, 2003, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Maira,<BR><BR>Since I'll have been on a night flight over from Chicago, should I find a locker for my purse &amp; carry on and try to just catch some sleep? The idea of spending 4 hours (well maybe 2 or 3 once you deduct check-in time) drinking Starbucks would be fine if I could find a fellow traveler to shoot the breeze with. <BR><BR>I had a look at the terminal layout. If I understand correctly, I'll be coming in on the international terminal and flying out from the domestic one up to Edinburgh. Since your experience was chaotic, how much time do I really have once I land?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>~ Sheryl
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 07:59 AM
Maira

I would clear customs and proceed to the Domestic Terminal right away. Assess the situation once there. I would allow 1.5 hours to clear security if leaving the airport. I really wish I could suggest a sight worth stepping out of the airport, but not much comes to mind from our last visit. Have a great time in Edinburgh! I loved the Edinburgh Castle! Quite breezy, take a good, sturdy umbrella and raincoat. The audio tour is worth the $4.

Old Mar 30th, 2003, 08:10 AM

Sheryl<BR><BR>I live 6 miles from Manchester Airport and in 4 hours you could just about manage a quick trip into the city centre. However, in that short space of time, you'd probably just end up with the same impression of the city that Maira got.<BR><BR>Manchester has some wonderful architecture, both old and new and many interesting places to visit, but you really need at least a full day to do it in. <BR><BR>I think you'll probably arrive at Terminal 1 and fly out from Terminal 3. T3 is quite small with less to do than T1, but it's usually a lot less crowded, so take your choice which you spend your layover in. They are next to each other, so it's not far to walk.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 09:20 AM

Take a taxi or local bus to the village of Styal, only a couple of miles away. There at Quarry Bank Mill the National Trust have restored a complex of mill buildings and workers' cottages that perfectly illustrate the start of the Industrial Revolution. It's surrounded by a country park which provides a perfect place to rest after a long flight. There's a charming cafeteria there too.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Maira &amp; Xenos,<BR><BR>That terminal information matches up with what I found on the web site. Glad to know it's accurate. lol I definitely plan on seeing the Castle. I'm staying with friends in Edinburgh and am in the utterly spoiled position of having accomodations and tour guides on sight. I'll be spending leisurely days on the Royal Mile and pub exploring in the evenings.<BR><BR>Have either of you been to the Quarry Bank Mill in Styal that Alec recommended? Since you live in the area Xenos - is this doable during the layover? <BR><BR>Again, thanks for all of the help,<BR><BR>~ Sheryl<BR><BR><BR><BR>
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 10:20 PM

I've been to Quarry Bank Mill and enjoyed it. Like Alec says, it's set in a country park, which would make a pleasant walk-around in fine weather. However, at the time you're arriving (middle of the rush hour), I'm not sure how long you would actually get to spend there and don't know what time the mill itself opens.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 11:46 PM

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/scri...PropertyId=116 <BR>This website will give you the information on Quarry Bank.