Search

Malta travel advice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Malta travel advice

Hello all, this is my first posting!
I am interested in taking a trip to Malta in the end of May this year with 3 other family members. We have never together travelled to Europe and in fact my parents have never been, so I've chosen this country because of what I've hear of the safety, ease of navigation, beauty, etc. Is this a good time of year to go, and if we only have between 7-8 days total would it be feasible to squeeze in some time in Italy (perhaps Rome)? Thank you
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 12:51 PM

tweety-welcome to the Fodors travel family! suggest you do a keyword search on Malta as there are a number of posts there from other fodorites who have visited this beautiful country (including mine) in the beautiful Mediterranean. If this is your first trip to Europe, you might want to limit your travels to just one country rather than mix and match. Day trips to Silicy are available from Malta-have heard mixed reviews on them, but it's something to consider. English is widely spoken in Malta and if that's your native tounge, you won't have any problems getting around, reading menus and all that fun stuff. You might forgo renting a car and rely on public transportation (their bus system is inexpensive and will get you anywhere you want rather quickly) - if you do rent a car, remember they drive on the LEFT. We loved Malta and I would recommend to anyone, however, in our 14 years of traveling to Europe, don't know that I would suggest Malta for my first European experience. If you're flying from the US, you will have to connect somewhere in Europe (most likely London) to reach Malta. That's a lot of time on a plane (but well worth the effort once you get there) for a relatively short amount of time in Europe. Are you more inclined to group travel or more independent travel? Both options are available if Malta turns out to be your chosed destination. Have fun wherever you wind up!
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 01:42 PM

I wouldn't split the time between Malta and Rome - choose one or the other You won't get a sense of either place in 3 days each. Also, Rome has so much to offer that 3 days isn't nearly enough.

Also, Italy should never be squeezed in, no matter where you choose in Italy.

I have a long trip report posted here but I'll give you some quick thoughts regarding your comments on Malta. I have never felt so safe anywhere else. I'm not sure why I felt so safe on Malta. Perhaps because there are no large cities, didn't see any poverty or street people.

Public transportation is by bus or taxi. Most of the time you would use buses - the main depot is in Valletta and you pass through Valletta to make connections. Even if there is a direct route from one place to another, connecting in Valletta seems to take less time.

I would not recommend renting a car (based on personal experience). It's not the left hand driving so much as the crazy drivers in the more conjested areas and the lack of signage in the out of the way areas. I've driven in France, Italy, England, and Scotland and found Malta the toughest place to drive.

I didn't think Malta was particularly beautiful. It's a fairly beige country since there isn't much greenery and not many flowers. All buildings are made from limestone (Malta limestone is beige) since that is the island's only natural product. It's also fairly flat with some rolling hills. But the Mediterranean is lovely.

May is an excellent time to go to Malta (or any place else in Europe). You'd better make reservations quickly or you'll find places have sold out and won't get your first choice.

I agree with Debs, above. Malta was fabulous and a very different experience but for a first-time European experience I would choose someplace else. It appears that you're looking for a somewhat rural setting and that's why you're thinking Malta. My thought is that cities are good places to start because of the diversity they offer (museums, churches, culture, shopping, walking tours, garden, etc.).
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 01:30 PM

Hi, I just joined Fodors chat today...I am planning a trip in Nomember with my best friend. I was thinking to go to Sicily and Malta, I will have about 2-3 weeks to travel. Is this a good time to go? Are the ferry's running from Sicily to Malta during that time? Are things still open? I have already been to Italy before and I am looking for something different. But the only time I can travel is in November and I don't want to be cold the whole time. Is this is a good place to go or do you have any other suggestions? FYI I won free tickets anywhere in Europe so skies the limit on locations. Places I have already been to: Italy/France/Spain/Germany/Austria/Switzerland/Czech and Slovak Republic/ Poland/England/ Israel (which is considered Europe by British Airways) Thanks for any suggestions. One of the other options is Croatia...but I am not sure about the weather that time of year.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To Musis28 - we are visiting Malta and Sicily later this year, these sites I've found will help you:

http://weather.yahoo.com/climo/MTXX0001_c.html
http://www.holiday-malta.com/resort/malta/weather/
http://www.virtuferries.com/

We found the ferry timetable quite inconvenient so booked flights to Sicily from Malta with Air Malta. It's more expensive but better timing.
Kay