Search

yet another amsterdam hotel inquiry!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2003, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yet another amsterdam hotel inquiry!

hello,

i would like your help on lodging matters. my budget is around 100 EUR/night, but i'm not averse to saving, an ideal nightly rate would be around 50-65 EUR. i want to be in a safe, somewhat centrally-located area, convienent to transport links.

as i'm only going to be in town for 2.5 days, i'd like to see as much as i can. i'm not really into 'nightlife,' nor do i expect to see any tulips, but so is amsterdam otherwise 'slower' in the winter? i apologise for all of the questions; i'm just nervous about getting around, not being able to speak dutch, & frankly, my spoken english is not too sharp, either.

anyhow, i'm trying to decide between hotel fita, hotel acro, & hotel nova, but perhaps some of you might have other suggestions.

thanks.
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 04:33 PM
Intrepid

All I can offer is a comment about the "language issue"..you will not have to speak any "Dutch," German, Hollandaise, etc., as most everyone in Amsterdam that you'll probably end up dealing with speaks English and they seem happy to do so.
Getting around shouldn't be a problem, especially if you are near the tram lines and there's also a Metro...I find the city to be fairly easy to walk in...you can also get lost but that can be fun. People always seem friendly and willing to help with directions. I'm sure others will be able to comment on your specific hotel questions. Enjoy your stay there.

Old Jul 13th, 2003, 05:52 PM

Last time, we stayed at AMS Holland for 89euro (I think it is more now). The location was fine, breakfast very good, staff nice, room tolerable. My complaint is I didn't notice at first, but the bathroom ceiling was moldy. The fixtures were clean, as was the room, and it just didn't occur to me to look up there until we'd already been in for a while. Didn't try to change rooms, only there 3 nights.
Hotel Acro is on my short list to try - it seems to get rave comments especially about 'cleanliness' , and the rates are very good. I do think it may be used by tours, as well. It is very easy to walk to Leidseplein from there, or over to the museums. The tram lines are very close and run frequently (beware of pickpockets).
There is no language barrier, which makes Amsterdam a very fun, easy-going kind of place to visit, a great entry-way into Europe.
Hotel Fita gets favorable reviews here, I believe - but it might be a little offsides..don't know how close the tram runs by it.
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 05:53 PM

Try Hotel Hoksbergen..It is in a great location...We are staying there in September for 90 Euro per night including breakfast and taxes...It is close to everything...
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 07:10 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I really enjoyed the *Leidseplein* district over the central area near the train station. Much nicer but still close in. I had a 3-star hotel, small single room, with nice breakfast for 57euro last summer but it was shared toilet & not a place i'd particularly recommend. i did not find the language a problem at all, though English was not as common as i'd been told.
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 07:55 PM

try this place, i stayed in it when it was called the westropa and thought it was decent....

http://www.edenhotelgroup.com/conten....asp?choice=37

its a tulip inn now...
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 08:40 AM

If you can live with not planning too far ahead, check out the bookings.nl site shortly before you go. There are often some great "last-minute" rates. For instance, I got a double at the NH Doelen for 95 Euro (normally much higher), booked about three days before departure.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 10:42 AM

Try www.biddingfortravel.com for insight on gettting a great hotel rate through Priceline. You stand a good chance of getting a four star like the Renaissance or Marriott in Amsterdam for $86/night or less, well under your 100 Euro budget ceiling.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 11:41 AM

You could take a look at the Hotel Villa Borgmann. It is not as centrally located, but it is within your price range, it's clean and it's comfortable.

It's located next to Vondelpark, within walking distance of the Leidesplein, several museums and just a block from a tram stop (tram #2, Emmaustraat) in a nice residential neghborhood.

The fax number is 020 676 25 80 or website at http://www.bookings.nl/hotel/10081.html.

Request room #11, it's the bay window above (beside, actually) the front entrance. Breakfast is included in the price. Amsterdam is fun. Best of luck.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 10:40 PM

Try the hotel Kap
Godd price for even better service and location.very clean and comfortable
We loved it there
Bob
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 01:21 AM

I'm a frequent visitor to The Netherlands. There is a hotel desk at the airport I have used many times - you walk up and they will have a list of available hotels offering good discounts. I make a stand-by reservation at a hotel which has a same day cancellation policy in case there are no deals on offer at hotels I like. I have been in Amsterdam in the winter and it's just fine - it can be cloudy and damp any time of the year. I agree the Leidsplein area is nicer than most and has excellent tram service. By the way, buy a strip ticket at any tobacco shop and save $$$.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 09:32 AM

I loved Amsterdam in winter because it wasn't crowded and there were no line-ups to museums. We walked most places. Friendly people seemed all too happy to help with directions and when I made one poor attempt at speaking Dutch, they answered me back in English. The canal cruises are great, day or night.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 09:38 AM

I'm a big fan of Hotel Fita. (have stayed there 3 times) It's only about a block from the Van Gogh museum and also from the tram. The people who run it are very nice. The rooms are comfortable and breakfast is quite nice.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

I thought this thread was dead, but lo and behold, there were recent replies. I've actually decided on a splurge called the Ambassade, out of my original price range, as well as my hotel list. In any case, I do appreciate all the tips, and I will post a trip report when I get back. Thanks!
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 08:22 AM

Dear withglasses,
I think you'll like the Ambassade.
In addition to its other great features and atmosphere, the hotel houses a spa called KoanFloat on its ground floor.
You can take a float in one of their isolation tanks (I didn't, but I've heard it's an unique experience!) or get a massage. I booked a massage although I was staying elsewhere (the spa is open to both guests and non-guests) and it was extremely reasonable - under $50 U.S. for an hour. I think you'll like the Grachtengordel (Canal Ring) neighborhood as well.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 09:45 AM

Question for wpcx2,
If one arrives in Amsterdam via train at Centraal, is there a similar reservations desk in the station? Or perhaps it's across the street at the VVV? Thanks.
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 06:11 PM

You know, I don't know. But I doubt it as the airport hotel desk is run by KLM, I think. The VVV office near and in the station was a madhouse any time I tried to use it. I like the Pulitzer Hotel the best, by the way.