Search

Malta Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 04:01 AM
Deb

Malta Hotels

I am going to Malta in late Spring and have a question about where to stay. (Price range is about $75 - $120 per night). We are going primarily for history, so I thought Valletta would be a good location. True?? Does anyone have an opinion of the Castille or Osborne hotels? <BR><BR>I know most hotels are outside of Valletta. How is it to stay in St Julians or Sliema? I know it is more lively at night, but we are not big on nightlife, other than eating out/walking around. Some hotels I've looked at in those places are Imperial, Galaxy, and the Westin (which is much nicer than the others but has a good sale going - my concernt here is no local flavor??). All opinions welcome!!

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 04:38 AM
Patrick

You can do a search here and find some information on the Castille. I stayed there five nights and loved it. The room (I asked for a corner one) was large, but rather sparsely and cheaply (old, think Goodwill) furnished. Had a large bath. But it was spotlessly clean and the staff couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. I actually liked the rooftop restaurant (where breakfast is also served), but a few others here have commented they didn't like it. I also really enjoyed a couple of Valetta &quot;Maltese&quot; restaurants, but others have said they didn't like Maltese food -- so maybe that's why I also enjoyed the Castille restaurant.<BR><BR>I don't know the Osborne -- the Castille was the only &quot;downtown&quot; hotel I could locate at the time, several years ago, except for a larger modern one right outside the gates -- a Le Meridien I think? <BR><BR>You are right about the St. Juliens or Sliema areas -- no real local color. They remind me of old time Miami Beach or the touristy part of a Greek resort, although there are some nice restaurants there.<BR><BR>You might also do a search for other Malta information here. There have been several threads about Gozo and how to get there and best see if for example. <BR><BR>You will enjoy Malta if you are at all into history.<BR>

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Howard

I am going to Malta around the same time, and pretty much have the same q's regarding hotels. Am leaning towards a more atmospheric neighborhood (Valletta). I have e-mailed both the Castille and the Osborne for their rates, and the Osboren, has not returned an answer. The Castille quoted $86 per night.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 05:34 PM
Deb

Thanks for the replies..any other opinions?

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 04:25 AM
joe

I recommend the Castille in Valletta.

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 10:05 AM
Jill and Will

Merry Christmas from Malta.