Malpensa to Monterosso

Search

Malpensa to Monterosso

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2004, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Malpensa to Monterosso

Please help me with complete directions on how to get from Malpensa to Monterosso. I wish to take the train to the Cinque Terre and am not really clear as to the connections from Malpensa to Milan train station. I have taken a few trains in Italy but not really familiar. The last time I was in the main station in Milan, my husband and I got separated and he was afraid I had been kidnapped! He was checking with security and about to have a heart attack when I arrived at the platform. It was a long story as to how we were separated!!! We don't want to repeat this experience. Please help with detailed info as to how to get to our destination.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 06:58 AM

Take the bus to Milano Centrale. (The train from Malpensa goes to another train station and just complicates things.) There seem to be two companies, but both leave from in front of Exit 6 of Terminal 1. Malpensa Shuttle has the more frequent departures. You can buy the tickets on the bus, but you have to have Euros, of course.

Go to www.trenitalia.com and look up the connections from Milano Centrale to Monterosso. I did, and there do not seem to be any Eurostar trains on any part of the route, so you can buy your tickets at Milano Centrale without having to worry about getting a reserved seat (which requires more advance time). It might be a good idea to print the schedules for the trains that you are most likely to take; then all you have to do is show the one you want at the ticket office

There are a few trains that go directly to Monterosso; some require a change of train. If you can, choose one that goes directly.

To avoid the "separation anxiety," decide in advance and as soon as you arrive at Milano Centrale where one of you will wait while the other goes to buy the tickets.

And remember to stamp your tickets in the yellow boxes at the head of each track. If you have to take two trains, you may get two separate tickets; you will have to stamp the second one as well at the station where you change.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 07:02 AM
DRJ

Although I don't know the schedule, there is a bus from Malpensa to the train ststion in Genoa, a ride of an hour and a half or so.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 07:27 AM

Yes, there is a bus from Malpensa to Genoa. It's a Volpi bus that leaves twice a day: at 11:3O a.m. and 8:00 p.m. from Stop No. 17 in front of Exit 4 of Terminal 1. You have to buy tickets at Airport 2000 on the arrival level. The Malpensa Airport site does not state where it arrives in Genoa.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 07:30 AM
GAC

THe Volpibus from Malpensa to Genova takes THREE HOURS, not 1.5 hours!!!!!!
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 08:18 AM
DRJ

Sorry about the incorrect travel time, but it was, as I recall from six years ago, a wonderful opportunity to catch some sleep after the cross Atlantic hop.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate you.