Malpensa or Milan for one night on my way to Bellagio

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am traveling with my family(w/ children, 1 small). This will be our 3rd trip. This time we are going to Bellagio were I have rented an apartment for 12 days. However when we land in Milan I have 1 extra day due to the fact I can't get into my apartment until the next day. My question is should I stay in Malpensa to let the kids rest (flight from Chicago) or do I try to go to Milan? We will be going to Milan for 3 nights at the end of the trip any way.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 11:58 AM

Hi ppalette, I don't when you will be in Italy but if it is during decent weather, which I imagine it is, you could spend that extra day and night in Streza. If you are not going to have a car there is bus service between Malpensa airport and Streza.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 12:12 PM

I agree---with a car stay within an hour of MXP on Lago Orta or Maggiore and drive to Lago Como the next day.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

we travel by public transportation always. Would this still work? We are going in June, but thats all I think about. Its cloudy and damp where I am, so I can't wait.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 03:22 PM

Hmm. Correct me if I'm wrong here but by going to Milan you are going away from L. Como and by going to Stresa you are going way away from L. Como. Even tho Stresa is very nice/beautiful.Also, dont you want to rent a car at the apt. and drive to Bellagio?
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

No, I don't think we need a car. For me this will be my 6th trip to Italy. I never take a car. I have many day trips planned, to different spots on the Lake which are all accessible by boat or other transport. I plan on relazing as well, by painting and swimming with my boys. I like to melt into an area.

So perhaps just relazing in Malpensa for the night before strating my trip will work just as well?
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 11:39 AM

Hi ppalette, when you say relaxing in Malpensa are you referring to a hotel near the Malpensa Airport? I just wanted to make sure that you know there is not a city ot town by the name of Malpensa. No doubt you do know that as you have been to Italy many times. Best regards.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Sorry to be unclear. I meant the airport. Just can't figure out what do for 24 hours, I don't want to cut my trip short. Yes, I do travel to italy often but this will be my first time back to the Milan area since being 2 years old. I usually fly into Rome, so this is new territory for me.
And I want to be mindful of the kids
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 12:11 PM

What about going to Varenna overnight? It's just across the lake ( about 15 minutes by boat) from Bellagio.

There used to be almost daily bus service from Malpensa to Varenna, but I don't know if that's available anymore.

You might have to go to Stazione Centrale in Milan. There is bus service from Malpensa to the train station. The ride takes about an hour. The train ride from Stazione Centrale to Varenna is also about an hour.

Old Sep 24th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Neopolitan

I'm guessing since you won't have a car that you will want to take the train to Varenna for Bellagio. So why not arrive at Malpensa, take the bus or taxi into Milan and spend the night? Then the next day you can easily get the train at Central station in Milan to head to the lake.
I would find staying the night and nearly all day on arrival(?) at an airport hotel would be depressing.

Old Sep 24th, 2006, 12:57 PM

Hello ppalette, for information on the shuttle bus from Malpensa Airport to the Central (Centrale) Train Station that Neo mentions here is the website. http://www.malpensashuttle.it.

A nice bus with storage underneath for everyone's luggage.

But with your children if you feel like just staying at a hotel near the Malpensa Airport I sure understand. Jetlag, tired children etc. Maybe just relaxing and not making another move would be good for overnight. Than you could take the shuttle into Milan the next day after the children and you have had a good rest and lots of sleep. Best wishes to you, 12 days in Bellagio sounds delightful!
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. This is what I needed to know. If I have to go thru Milan either way, than yes I will stay there for the night. If I can get to Varenna from the airport that will be my choice. I just was getting confused when looking at the map seeing Milan the opposite way of Bellagio. Thank you. Also, LoveItaly, I love your name. I agree, thats why I can't stop thinking about it! Ciao
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 04:40 AM
Neopolitan

I'm not familiar with busses from Malpensa to Bellagio, but I would certainly think it is easier to get to Varenna by train from Milan (Central) and then the ferry. That's a very easy way to get to Bellagio -- but to do it, you have to get to Milan Central to start. LoveItaly has given you the "how to do that".

People are talking about spending the night at Malpensa, but doesn't your flight get in there in the morning? Aren't we really talking about being "holed up" in a Malpensa hotel all day plus the night?

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I agree. I will head to Milan. I just was feeling confused when looking at the map. Thank you. And from everything I have read Varenna to Bellagio seems the way to go.