Reload this Page >

Mallorca Sightseeing Tips

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 1999, 01:01 PM
Caroline

Spending one week here in September. Can anyone give me tips on what to see. <BR>Appreciate your help. <BR>

Old Aug 20th, 1999, 01:43 PM
Richard

Caroline, It's been over 40 years since I've been to Majorca, but I still remember the wonderful beaches and the Caves of Drach. What a great time to be there!

Old Aug 20th, 1999, 04:21 PM
paciano diaz

There is a fort (fortress) in Mallorca. You get a great view of the island. Also, try to see the Cathedral.

Old Aug 21st, 1999, 01:49 AM
Myriam

Caves of Drach near Porto Cristo and the Cathedral of Palma de Mallorca have been mentioned before. <BR>Also the cloister of Valldemosa where Frederic Chopin and George Sand have lived. <BR>If you like nature, take a ride to the Puig Mayor (1445 m and the highest mountain of the island) and to Cabo de Formentor (the Northpoint of the island) with its wild coast and where you will have a magnificent view on the island of Menorca. <BR>Be sure to rent a car, so you are free to go where you want because also the numerous creeks along the east- and westcoast are very nice. <BR> <BR>Have a good time.

Old Aug 23rd, 1999, 03:59 AM
Richard

Thanks for your help. Counting the days till I go. Sounds as if there is lots to see. Our car is already booked. <BR>Caroline

Old Aug 28th, 1999, 04:24 AM
paciano

Thanks for your tips. Going in two weeks and will certainly visit the sites mentioned in your reply. <BR> <BR>Caroline <BR>

Old Aug 28th, 1999, 11:26 AM
gina

Hi Caroline, just wanted to give you a quick caveat, especially since you are renting a car. Do not, I repeat, do not get talked into driving the Sa Callobra road to the Torrente del Pareis. The road is more horrific than you can imagine and consists of endless switchbacks and hairpin turns. At the bottom all there is is a little beach and a couple of restaurants. As far as we could determine, it once was where the river met the sea, but now the river is dammed and there is nothing there that is remarkable at all. And then of course you have wasted 1/2 day and then you have to drive back up. It is worth it to visit the little port town of Soller. Take the little trolley car from Soller to the Port of Soller. Well worth it. Also take a tour of La Granja. You will love Mallorca. You will not believe the airport--It is beyond huge for such a little island. Have a really nice time.

Old Aug 29th, 1999, 12:46 AM
Jan

As mentioned by Gina,the port of Soller is worth a visit and another way to get there if you don't want to drive is to take the train from Palma to Soller and then take the little trolly car to the port. Its a few years since I was there but I remember the train journey as being an enjoyable trip with nice scenery once you got into the countryside. <BR>

Old Aug 29th, 1999, 10:35 AM
Gina

Caroline, Jan is correct, there is a train from Palma to Soller. The train was advisable as an alternative to a long car trip over the hills. However, now there is a brand new tunnel, just opened in 1997, which cuts off that long road, so you could take your car if you prefer and skip the train. The train looked a little seedy to me. Have fun!

Old Sep 2nd, 1999, 04:20 AM
Suzanne

Hi All, <BR>Can anyone recommend lodging in Palma de Mallorca - a place that is small, intimate, not a gaping waterfront high rise? I will be in palma for 2 weeks in mid october. <BR> <BR>Saludos, <BR>Suzanne