Reload this Page >

Mallorca mystery

Search

Mallorca mystery

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 02:16 AM
Davidx

Mallorca mystery

So, what’s the mystery about Mallorca? Is it a lie that a lot of people go there? or do none of them read bulletin boards? or are all hostels prohibitively expensive? Or what? A question on 7 different boards about moderately cheap accommodation in Palma, Sóller or Pollença elicited only one response [Go to Deia instead!] I find other similar questions remain unanswered. Go on, surprise me!

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 02:31 AM
Hans H

Mallorca is an extremely popular holliday spot for many Europeans, especially from Great Britain and Germany. Some tourist centres are pretty awful, many parts of the island are wonderful. You can find very cheap hotels and vacation together with the typical German or British worker flying in with a charter flight for a week of sun and getting drunk in the night, or you can find exclusive places catering for the rich. And probably everything in between.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 03:33 AM
elina

I suppose the mystery is the fact that most people go on charter holidays and stay in the beach areas. They have pre-payed hotels. <BR><BR>I did not answer because I don´t know anything about hostels. But I saw many people going into the hostel of Lluc monastery while I was visiting there.<BR><BR>You might like to take a look also at &quot;agroturismo&quot; places. There are lovely places all over the island, but unfortunately many of them are pricey. But there are also some more moderate ones. Check<BR>http://www.agroturismo-balear.com/<BR><BR>&quot;Go to Deia instead&quot; – pah, why? Yes Deia is beautiful, but so are many other places. Nothing wrong with S&ograve;ller and Pollenca. Or Palma. It is a beautiful, interesting town.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 12:48 PM
CA

hve a vacation coming up week of xmas. am thinking of travelling to mallorca then. am i missing out on too much by going off season? don't want to arrive and find only rain, closed shops/restaurants, and no reliable public transport. i am reading conflicting info about the weather and the flora then too. rain or sun? flowers or no? tks. ca

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 07:02 PM
Carolina

Mallorca is a very beautiful island. It certainly has its party areas, but it also has Palma, a wonderful city and the north west of the island which is largely unspoiled.<BR>Most visitors do go on package holidays, especially from the UK and Germany. <BR>One caution for an independent tourist: most of the accomodation is block booked by tour operators so it is not a good place to just turn up and look for accomodation on arrival. As Mallorca is an island, you can get really stuck if you can't find somewhere to stay. Obviously, it is hardest to find a bed in the summer but a reservation is reccommended at any time. I would also phone and / or fax hotels before arrival and make sure that your reservation will be honoured.<BR>