making the best of a short stay in rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can anybody give me a helping hand to maximise my stay in rome ,arriving midday fri leave monday morning ,a personal touch would cut out lost time looking for the right places to see, i know that the stay is short but i will throw lots of coins into the fountain to make sure i return to the bella city .. thanks in antisipation
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 11:04 AM

I spent an equal amount of time in Rome last year. We took one of those city bus trips, I know they are touristy but gave us a good overview of where to spend our time. I had made prior reservations at the Borghese Gallery for first thing in the morning. Lots a Bernini statues if you like that sort of thing it is wonderful. We took a cab to the gallery and then armed with a city map walked to Vatican from there. Lovely walk!! See Trevi fountain very early in the morning or late in the evening for a more intimate view. ( Well worth an early wake up call!) Where are you staying? I liked the Pantheon area, very central. We saw all major sights except the colleseum in that same amount of time. Lots of walking. Loved just sitting at the outdoor cafe and watching Rome pass us by as well. Buon Viaggio!
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 11:23 AM

I would hire a guide, it makes the experience that much more meaningful if you only have a short time. I don't want to sound like their salesman but I've recommended Vatican Tours & Beyond before (they have a website). We used them to tour the Vatican and the city of Rome and were really pleased.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 12:11 PM

My first time in Rome was about the same as yours, and I saw many sights and really got a feel for the city.
My suggestions:
Friday - Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Pantheon, Via del Corso (shopping area), Piazza Navona(Bernini fountains, meeting place for Romans - restaurants and gelaterias)
Saturday - Vatican - museum(you can choose your tour based on Art interest and time), Sistine Chapel, St. Peters
Sunday - Walking tour beginning at Vittorio Emanuele (Wedding Cake), Colisseum, Circus Maximus and ruins.
You will see many churches and examples of architecture along your way throughout all of these areas. Pickup a travel book before going and plot out your plans. Enjoy your visit.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 08:09 AM

Hello, So I went with Daphne of Three Millenia on the Wine Tour it was great! And then with Julia at Odyssey to see the Vatican, she is fun, knowledgeable and really friendly. I highly recommend both tours! Seeing Daphne again Friday for Off the Beaten Path Tour.