Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Making Mountain Choices around Lucerne: Titlis, Pilatus, or Rigi?

Jun 30th, 2004, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Swiss mountain enthusiasts are invited to weigh-in on the following: My wife and I next August will spend a few days in Lucerne, and we'd very much like to make the excurision up to at least one of the "neighborhood" mountain summits. Based on first-hand experience, what's the top choice concerning trips to Mt. Titlis, Pilatus, and Rigi? I suspect we'll have time for but one mountain excursion. Incidentally, we'll be using public transport to access these sites. Any experiences and reflections concerning these mountain attractions would be much appreciated.

A final question: Is the Swiss Flexi-Pass ("Saver" version) honored on trips to these mountain summits?
Jun 30th, 2004, 09:11 AM

My favourite mt. of those three is Pilatus. I was not much impressed by the Rigi (quite nice hikes there), the Pilatus is more spectacular (rocky patches). Titlis ... hm, if you want to stand on a glacier, grab some snow, walk in an ice grotto - go there.

The biggest difference between those mountains is that Titlis is right IN the Alps, much higher than Pilatus and Rigi and offers views on short distance of other mountains.

Rigi and Pilatus are at the edge of the Alps, offering views from quite a distance of the Alps - all the main crest and also the northern Alps from Säntis in the East to Bernese Alps in the West, inbetween Lake Lucerne, pastures, tiny villages, and to the north the plains of Switzerland.

I personally liked Pilatus round trip most: ferry from Lucerne to Alpnachstad, (steep) funicular up to Pilatus, cable car and gondola down to Kriens, bus back to Lucerne. The Swiss Flexi Pass is good for the trip. You get 25% reduction on the funicular/cable car/gondola and travel free on the ferry/bus. BTW, you can also take the train instead the ferry.

Ingo
Jun 30th, 2004, 09:35 AM
SLHogan

I have to agree with Ingo's recommendation of Pilatus. I went to Pilatus and up it the exact same way that Ingo described (and this was back in October of 1998).

The views are so amazing! There was a restaurant up there, but it was closed at the time. I do recall a vendor selling sausages, though. My friend had brought some chips and he was feeding the birds - literally out of his hands.

Whichever mountain you and your wife decide on, have fun!

Jun 30th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Ingo & SL,

Thanks so much for the information. It sounds like Pilatus' the one. The prospect of taking a variety of vehicles up and down the mountain is an added attraction.

On another matter, have you any thoughts on Luzern's transport museum? How long does it take to do it justice? Also, have you any tips concerning dining in Luzern? If so, do tell.

Thanks once again.
Jun 30th, 2004, 08:02 PM

Another vote for Pilatus. We liked it the best of the three. It is also readily accessible from Lucerne. We rode the cog railway both ways and had lunch at the restaurant. It was fascinating eating luch at an outdoor table and watching the fog (we thought) roll in - only it turned out to be a floating cloud - a rain cloud and we had to quickly drag our lunch indoors.

A lot of people seemed to be hiking up the mountain while we were there - and it seemed to be a hike rather than a climb as far as we could see - maybe a good idea if you have a lot of time. (We rode back down with some folks from CT who had hiked up and they said there were well-marked trails.)
Apr 1st, 2006, 08:27 PM

bookmarking
Apr 1st, 2006, 09:08 PM

Pilatus also gets my choice but if a person isn't very capable, Rigi might be a good choice. You can take the boat to that side of the lake and then take the small funicular up to the 3/4 point. Then you could do the last bit on your feet. It's certainly not like Pilatus but it's still a nice walk. You get to walk all of the ways down to the lake afterwards.

The temperature might make a decision which should be selected.

Blackduff