Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Make me an Italy itinerary...2 weeks and lots to see!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 01:56 PM
kristen

Ok...I have been doing so much research that I'm more confused than ever! I want to see it all! <BR><BR>I would love for people to suggest Italian Itineraries based on the following "factoids" about us:<BR><BR>1. We will leave San Franscisco on a Saturday and fly back to San Francisco 2 Saturdays later.<BR><BR>2. We only fly on American, which means in and out of Rome (we could catch a connector flight if we want to start the trip in another city).<BR><BR>3. We are foodies, big time! We also love wine, art and museums. Shopping is great, but we don't need "high-fashion" shopping or anything like that.<BR><BR>4. We want to incorporate Venice, Florence, Tuscany/Umbria and a little Rome into the trip. Rome being the least important in our minds...we want to see some major sights, but REALLY want to see the other places mentioned too.<BR><BR>5. We are "Starwood" hotel people which means we will use "points" to pay for lodging in a lot of cases. Here's the catch...if we stay 4 nights, we get the 5th night free. We want to take this into consideration for at least one city. <BR><BR>6. We don't want to drive in cities. We would rent a car to drive around the countryside.<BR><BR>7. We don't want to move around TOO much. We would like central locations with good day trips.<BR><BR>8. As enchanting as they may sound, I don't think we want to do too much of the very remote towns. We will rely on being in places where we people speak some english and there is at least some tourist economy. Not super-tourisy, but we don't want to be the only non-Italians there!<BR><BR>9. Hill towns that sound great to us are: Siena, San G, Volterra, Montalcino, Montepulciano, Assisi, Cortona...<BR><BR>10. Lastly, this trip will be at the beginning of October, we are a fit married couple, 30 yrs old, and it will be our first time to Italy. We visited Spain once before (and fell in love with Barcelona, btw).<BR><BR>Sorry for such a long post, but I figured if you have all the details you can better plan our "dream trip!"<BR><BR>

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 02:15 PM
xxx

I do. I go.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Paule

Ok, taking in your parameters, here are my thoughts:<BR>Upon arrival in Rome, immediately take train to Florence. Use your Starwood benefit here and stay for 5 nights. Florence is the city of museums and has excellent restaurants. <BR>Then, train to Venice for 3 nights. <BR>When you leave Venice, pick up a car i, explore Tuscany/Umbria region for 3 nights.<BR>Drive to Rome/drop off car. Stay in Rome at the end for 2 nights before flying home.<BR><BR>This takes in your parameters and, I think, gets you from one place to the next without too much difficulty. <BR><BR>Starwood hotels are in limited locations, so out of the places you want to see, your choices are the 3 big cities: Rome, Florence, Venice. Of those 3, Florence makes the most sense, given your interests. I thought Siena would be a good place to spend 5 nights, but there is no Starwood Hotel there that I'm aware of. So I hope that this is a good start for you!<BR><BR><BR>

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 03:36 PM
kristen

Thanks for the info...I look forward to hearing all of the "fodorites" suggestions!

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 08:17 PM
aaa

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 04:51 AM
elaine

Hi<BR>As much as I love Venice and Florence, I would allocate more time to Rome than the above, Rome is overwhelming in its treasures and demands for attention.<BR><BR>I would fly into Rome and immediately change planes and go on to Venice.<BR>Spend 4 nights there. Take the train to Florence, spend 4-5 nights there including day trips to Siena, Chianti country, or whatever strikes your fancy.<BR>Then end your trip in Rome, incorporating a daytrip to Pompeii or Orvieto or Pisa or whatever else appeals to you.<BR><BR>I have files on those cities; if you'd like to see them, email me.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 05:58 AM
Christy

Should you venture up from Venice or Milan into the lake region, it would be a shame not to go on into Switzerland for a day trip or overnighter(Ascona or Locarno are close to the border). I frequent Italy and Switzerland often and much prefer Switzerland's beauty and cleanliness. Certainly, an easy day trip if you visit the Italian Lake Region. Christy

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 06:05 AM
Mr. Go

Some good ideas from Paule and others here. My advice: wait for Bob the Navigator to chime in. Might take him a while...he's visiting his daughter in North Carolina this weekend. But he knows his stuff, and not shy about expressing opinions.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 06:52 AM
aaa

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 07:02 AM
kristen

These are great responses! How does this sound?<BR><BR>Fly to Rome-go directly to Venice for 5 nights<BR><BR>Day trip from Venice to Lake region<BR><BR>Train to Florence for only 3 nights<BR><BR>Drive after Florence and explore Volterra, San g. and Siena, spend 1 night in Siena<BR><BR>Drive next day and explore Montecino, Montepulciano, etc. Stay overnight in Montecino or Pienza.<BR><BR>Drive next day to Rome for remaining 3 nights.<BR><BR>I normally wouldn't just stay one night anywhere, but I feel like in such small towns that would be OK.<BR><BR>I don't think it would make sense to stay in Siena to explore Montalcino, etc. Am I right?<BR><BR>I would stay in Florence longer and day trip to Siena, but we really want to see San g. and Voltera and don't want to do all 3 on a bus in 1 day.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 07:03 AM
Wayne

Kristen---<BR>I would make specific suggestions, but you are one of those travelers who knows what you want, have studied the trip and have some very good tentative plans. Honestly, with the parameters you have set out, the answers you have already received are probably all you need. Any other suggestions, including those from some of the real "experts" on this site, will only be variations of what has already been recommended. Besides, I tend to favor the less touristy villages, and that seems not to be your major objective. Duration of stays, mode of transportation between major points, and specific locales to visit appear to be already pretty well defined, both by previous posters and by your own research.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 07:05 AM
Laura

Kristen, <BR>Just a suggestion - My husband and I (also age 30) are getting ready to go to Italy (also for 2 weeks and also flying American). We are staying in Rome 5 nights, Florence 5 nights (but taking day trips into Tuscany) and then 3 nights in Venice. We'll go back to Rome at the end- stay in an inexpensive hotel near the airport and early flight back the next morning. High-speed Eurostar between cities. <BR>

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 07:30 AM
Punttanesca

Kristen, My suggestions, from an old pro working girl, train to Venezia (5hrs) for 3 nights;Train to Firenze staying 5 nights with driving trips to hill towns. Make stops in Cotorna on the way to Assisi for 2 overnights (city is magnificent at night) then on to Orvieto for day trip before returning to Rome for remainder.<BR>Auto rental recommendation: Europcar.<BR>P.S. Firenze and Rome maybe art capitals of the world.(just my opinion) Also very accomodating to working girls.<BR>Bella Amore!

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Cody

Kristin:<BR>I have done Italy on Starwood points in the past and I very familiar with their hotels in Italy. I am also on the west coast. <BR><BR>I think your plan to start in Venice is perfect and I would suggest the Gritti if you have enough points. DON'T stay on the Lido. Take any private water taxi from the airport to the hotel. Don't get sucked into the "Ciga launch" since it is just a regular water taxi, costs the same and you may have to share it with others and wait around for them. <BR><BR>Ending in Rome is also a good idea. Both the St. Regis & the Excelsior are good but the Excelsior is a bit more centrally located since Rome is a place you will want to explore on foot. I would not stay there for less than 3 nights and I would suggest you try to arrive there in daylight. You can drop off your rental car in the Borghese Gardens area which is very close to both hotels after you check in. Rome may surprise you. Many Americans are entranced with the idea of Florence and the Tuscan countryside prior to their first visit and come home starving for more time in Rome. Every single person I know who has been to Italy prefers Rome over Florence, even those who live or have lived in Florence.<BR><BR>I would pick up a car in Venice and drop off the car in Rome. Use your points for Venice & Rome, stay in Siena and use it as a base since it is pretty central for what you are interested in. Pick a hotel that has fairly easy access and good food since you may be eating there in the evening. Siena is 43 miles from Florence 34 of which is autostrada. It is very easy to do day trips to Florence by car, if you want to. There is a car park at the central station and you just walk right into town from there. It is located on the edge of town so you won't be driving "in the city". Leave Siena early in the morning and stop in Montalcino on the way to Rome. <BR><BR>Like you, most people want to do the big 3 on their first trip to Italy. Like you, most people want to see the Tuscan countryside. Italy is such a great place that no matter what you do it will be a wonderful trip. If I were doing it again for the first time, based on some of your "factoids", I would skip Florence altogether and do Gritti Palace for 5, rent a car and drive to Villa Cipriani in Asolo for 5 and then fly VCE to FCO for 3 at the Excelsior in Rome. If you do 5 nights on points in Asolo, take off for an overnight up at the "strada del vino" near Merano if you want to see spectacular Italian countryside. Have fun. I hate to say it but you will probably end up more confused than ever after reading all these posts. The never ending problem with Italy is there are too many great choices and too little time!

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Puttanesca

Kristen: point of information; your car will not be allowed into Seina. Residence only with few exceptions. You will need a VERY GOOD map of Italia. This is not Kansas, Dorothy!!

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Sherri Kardell

1) fly to Rome and stay days. I know you think you're not into it ;but you will be trust me. take at least 1 day tour better yet 2 1/ 2 days. check out 3amigos.com also" rome" around the Via Venito and the Spanish Steps 2 ) take the train to florence stay 3 days min. great food museums shopping etc. use your hotel points there . You may want to use Florence as a base to see Siena and some of the hill towns if you're not into driving check out artviva.com they will do custom tours of Tuscany and Umbria.4) take the train to Venice for 3 days check out karenbrown.com for hotels I stayed at the S. Stafano and loved it.La DOlce Italty!

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 03:17 PM
kristen

This has all been SO helpful! Here is where I'm at today (it could change overnight of course!)<BR><BR>- Fly into Rome&gt;Venice<BR>- 5 nights in Venice with 1 or 2 day trips mixed in (Verona, etc.)<BR>Train to Florence<BR>- 3 Nights in Venice<BR>- Rent a car and go to Locanda Dell'Amorosa as a base. Stay 2 nights.<BR>- Day trips around the area doing Voltera/Siena or San G. on the way down there, Montalcino/Pienza area the next day, Oriveto the last day while driving to Rome<BR>-Rome 3 nights<BR>Home from Rome!<BR><BR>I'm Happy!

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 03:19 PM
kristen

There was a major error in my last post...the 3 nights after Venice are in Florence!