Search

Majorca or Donostia-San Sebastian with Kids and Grandma

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2023, 10:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Majorca or Donostia-San Sebastian with Kids and Grandma

Hi everyone,

We have to opportunity to take our kids to Barcelona the first week of July for a musical school organized trip, they are 9 and 7 years old. My mother (72 going 25) has always wanted to go to Spain, and I thought this would be a good opportunity for us all to go together! We can tack on a week of vacation prior to the organized school trip in Barcelona, and I am trying to decide what might be the best place for us to go.

We are coming from Seattle, so a sunny warm holiday in Majorca sounds really appealing but I have also always wanted to go to Donostia. Studied in Spain in college, speak spanish, but never made it to either one of these destinations. My mom is pretty easy going and loves nature and culture, my kids are well-natured kids that love to stay active. My daughter is into horseback riding and art and my son loves anything that involves water.

We will be in Barcelona the following week playing music and seeing sites. Don't want to rush around, would rather spend a full week before hand in either Majorca or Donostia. Any thoughts on what might be the best spot for everyone that time of year (week of June 23rd)? If so, any recs on where might be good for us to stay? I'm not usually into all inclusive resorts....they make me feel suffocated! I'm sure we can't go wrong either way, just want it to be kid friendly and yet also memorable for my mom! Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 17th, 2023, 01:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snikrdoodle
Hi everyone,

We have to opportunity to take our kids to Barcelona the first week of July for a musical school organized trip, they are 9 and 7 years old. My mother (72 going 25) has always wanted to go to Spain, and I thought this would be a good opportunity for us all to go together! We can tack on a week of vacation prior to the organized school trip in Barcelona, and I am trying to decide what might be the best place for us to go.

We are coming from Seattle, so a sunny warm holiday in Majorca sounds really appealing but I have also always wanted to go to Donostia. Studied in Spain in college, speak spanish, but never made it to either one of these destinations. My mom is pretty easy going and loves nature and culture, my kids are well-natured kids that love to stay active. My daughter is into horseback riding and art and my son loves anything that involves water.

We will be in Barcelona the following week playing music and seeing sites. Don't want to rush around, would rather spend a full week before hand in either Majorca or Donostia. Any thoughts on what might be the best spot for everyone that time of year (week of June 23rd)? If so, any recs on where might be good for us to stay? I'm not usually into all inclusive resorts....they make me feel suffocated! I'm sure we can't go wrong either way, just want it to be kid friendly and yet also memorable for my mom! Thanks in advance!
Hi! June 23 is the festival of San Juan, the popular festival of the Catalan Countries. If your daughter likes horses (what discipline does she practice?) you can go to Menorca, just as beautiful as Mallorca. You have a direct flight from Barcelona (about 20' flight). In Menorca they breed a specific breed of horse that they use for these festivals in the towns. That week are the Ciutadella festivities. If you were interested, I could also recommend places where your daughter could go horseback riding. As for beaches, there are countless beautiful beaches. Archeology is also very interesting on the island as they have several remains of the prehistoric culture known as Talayotic. Of course, if you decide on Menorca, I recommend you book now because for those dates it's high season and there is a limited offer.

And now, answering your question, both places are wonderful. Perhaps for those dates Donosti is less crowded.
Old Aug 17th, 2023, 02:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mallorca is much more laid back that Donostia and if they've got the discipline of a music festival. laid back may be better.I always stay in the north of the island in the Pollenca area, where there is lots of choice of types of accommodation and Pollenca town itself has a great Spanish feel and lots of choices to eat..There's horse riding in the area and spectacular scenery if you rent a car and get out and about. Mallorca is not a large island and you can drive across in about an hour avoiding the teenagers and early twenties drinking area around Palma Nova and Magaluf..