Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

at a glance - where to visit in Switzerland over 7-10 days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2023, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning my next Europe trip and am fond of the idea of spending maybe 3 weeks in France and Switzerland in November 2024 (yes, we are planning early!) so as to catch the start of some of the Christmas markets.

I am thinking to begin in Switzerland then head to France (having been previously, for this trip I am thinking visit Annecy, Dijon + Beaune, the Alsace region (Strasbourg and surrounds) before venturing up briefly to Luxembourg and Belgium and then finishing in Paris.

Switzerland will require the most research for me and I have no idea where to go yet.

I am a big history lover and foodie. I am not big on outdoor activities (skiing, hiking etc) but do appreciate natural landscapes.

Any suggestions on where to go/what to see working off of a 7-10 day timeline (for Switzerland specifically)? Key point is that I will not be hiring a car and reliant on public transport. Ideally would like to finish up somewhere that has a direct train connection to get me into France.
Old Aug 16th, 2023, 09:51 PM

Hi victorianinwanderland,

Sounds like a fine plan! Just a few cautions to begin -- Switzerland doesn't have a history or tradition of Christmas markets, though now the big cities and some towns have adopted the practice. Just so you know ... some 20 years ago I was in a small Swiss town for Christmas, and there was no market and no decorations and no lights. I was surprised. But now things may be different (I'm not usually in Switzerland for Christmas these days).

Also, November is a bad time for the mountains, as it's between seasons -- flowers are gone and skiing hasn't started up yet. But since you don't want to spend most of your time in the mountains, that may not impact you much. Just one thing -- many cable cars close in November for a week or so for regular maintenance, so do research closing days once you decide on a location.

I'd recommend you start in either Luzern (Lucerne) or Bern. Both are full of history, and both are nearby mountains so you can spend 1 or 2 days up on top to stroll around or have a meal in a mountaintop restaurant.

After that, you can head to Montreux on Lake Geneva, which DOES have a great Christmas market, and has done for some decades. But you'll find more crepes & foie gras & fondue at market stands than sausages... Anyway, Montreux is close to the border with France, so you can head out from there by train easily.

You can research all your train connections at the Swiss rail site,

www.sbb.ch

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Aug 16th, 2023, 10:19 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swandav2000
Hi victorianinwanderland,

Also, November is a bad time for the mountains, as it's between seasons -- flowers are gone and skiing hasn't started up yet. But since you don't want to spend most of your time in the mountains, that may not impact you much. Just one thing -- many cable cars close in November for a week or so for regular maintenance, so do research closing days once you decide on a location.

I'd recommend you start in either Luzern (Lucerne) or Bern. Both are full of history, and both are nearby mountains so you can spend 1 or 2 days up on top to stroll around or have a meal in a mountaintop restaurant. s
I'd be looking to visit the Christmas markets in Alsace Being an Australian, I don't fare well in the cold and am mindful the markets don't start til the very end of November/early December hence I thought to make it worth the travel, I'd visit Switzerland and Belgium too and try time it so that the very last places visited are those where the markets are.

Re November for the mountains, I definitely would like to visit at least the Bernese Oberland (you can't go to Switzerland and not, right?!) - is it easily accessible from Bern without a car?

What are your thoughts on Zurich, Basel and Lausanne? I don't have time to see everything but wondering what to exclude / try accommodate
Old Aug 16th, 2023, 10:58 PM

Hi again,

Well you are absolutely right that Switzerland's best is its mountains -- the car-free villages up atop a mountain, with the freshest air and most stupendous views cannot be beat. But if you don't want to hike, there's just not that much to do. You can always descend to explore other villages & towns, and spend your evenings up in a village.

Check the journey times on the SBB site from Bern to Wengen (a car-free village) and to the Jungfaujoch (a mountaintop). I think I remember the journey being about 3h or so. I think the travel is not that far from Luzern to its nearest mountains (Rigi, Pilatus), but you'd have to check. I suggested Bern & Luzern because of your interest in history and I thought that the outdoors was not a big criterion for you.

If you do want to spend some overnights in the mountains, then Wengen is my favorite spot. As it is car-free, yes, it's dead-easy to access without a car. Switzerland really has the best public transport in the world...and I live in Germany, which has excellent public transport too.

I personally don't care for cities, and with only about 10 nights for Switzerland, I wouldn't "waste" any time in a city. Zurich is fine, a great city with an interesting old town and a lovely lake. Taking the ferry to Rapperswil is a great day. Basel is a great city for museums and for food. Lausanne I keep trying to love, but the charm of the city escapes me (if you want an alternative to Montreux, look at Vevey or Lutry).

I guess I'd recommend maybe 1 or 2 nights in Luzern to get over jet lag, take some ferry rides on the lake, and soak up some Swiss history. Then 3 or 4 nights in the BO to take in the stupendous views, then 3 nights in Montreux or Vevey or Lutry, then on to France.

Have fun!

s
Old Aug 16th, 2023, 11:03 PM

Forgot to say --

There is a train station at the Zurich airport, and Luzern is just 1h by train, so it's a decent stop for your first few nights in the country. Again, check out the travel times at the SBB site.

s
Old Aug 17th, 2023, 06:34 AM

In November, it is sometimes quite cloudy in Switzerland and there can be high fog. To escape the fog, I would recommend the Engadine, Valais or especially Ticino. In Ticino there are some historical sights and the food is very good. In autumn it's game season and many restaurants serve fine dishes with venison, deer or wild boar.

Have a great trip!
Martin