Search

Majorca beach - beautiful but not overly crowded

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Majorca beach - beautiful but not overly crowded

Hi,

My friend and I (both mid-30s) will be spending 4 nights in Majorca. The first 3 we have booked an apartment in Palma de Majorca. We would like to spend the last night at the beach - north, east or south. There are so many options!

Ideally, the beach would be a relatively easy drive or bus from Palma, would be beautiful (aren't they all?), and lively enough but not annoyingly touristy.

A few options I have seen are: Colonia Sant Jordi / Es Trenc, Port Pollensa, Cala Ratjada, Canyamel, and Cala Mondrago. Could anyone who has been to these beaches explain to me the differences? I was at first thinking Es Trenc was easiest to drive to and the boat ride to the islands sounded great, but then I've seen they don't actually get good reviews online. Perhaps one of the busier east or northern beaches would be ok since they are beautiful and have caves?

Thanks!!
Old Jun 11th, 2014, 02:22 PM

"overly crowded" will depend on the time of year. Mallorca is a very popular summer destination with those from northern Europe and elsewhere, so finding a beautiful, but not overly crowded beach during the summer will be difficult. You'd have better luck on the north coast (Cantabria and Asturias).

www.seemallorca.com/sea/beach.html
Old Jun 12th, 2014, 07:20 AM

Es Trenc isn't bad, but the long sandy beach at the other side of Colonia Sant Jordi is usually much less crowded.
Old Jun 12th, 2014, 07:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The beach at Puerto Pollenca is long and sandy, stretching across to Alcudia. I've never seen it that busy, even in high season and Pollenca and port are great places to stay, even for one night.

The northern coast and the east coast will take about 45-60 minutes from Palma. Cala Mayor or Illetes are much nearer, not as nice beach wise, but only 15/20 minutes out of Palma.