Mainz in March

Jan 22nd, 2003, 01:53 PM
Maria

Mainz in March

I'm travelling to Mainz in the beginning of March, then off to the Mosel river for a few months. I'll be landing in Frankfurt, and am wondering which train to take to Mainz. Looking at bahn.de is a bit confusing, so any help would be appreciated. Also, any recommendations on a hotel which is convenient to the train station (as well as safe for a woman travelling alone, not renting a car)would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Maria.

Jan 22nd, 2003, 02:06 PM
Frank Furter

From Frankfurt airport, take a local train (S-Bahn) to Mainz. No need to go to Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof (Hbf).

Jan 22nd, 2003, 02:57 PM
Ann

Maria, you might check into just taking a taxi to the hotel, it's not that far from the airport to downtown Mainz. There is a hotel near the train station that looked really nice, but I don't have any personal experience with it. Check their website at www.hotel-hammer.com; rates are from 71 euro for a single. If you want to stay in the old city center (I would), see www.mainz-hotel-schwan.de for info about an inn dating from the 1500's, with a great restaurant, and just around the corner from the Gutenberg Museum. Both websites in English. Best wishes...

Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:37 PM
CharlieB

Maria - sorry you had trouble with "bahn.de". Once you get to the English pages by clicking on "travel service" in the left hand banner, just type in "Frankfort Airport" and Mainz for destination city and the possible dates of travel. The list of possible trains is extensive as they leave every 10 - 20 minutes. Look for trains labeled "S", "RE", or "RB" as these do not require reservations and all depart from the "Regional Station" rather than the Fernbahnhof for long distant trains. At the bottom of the time table click on the hotel icon to get a listing of hotels within a specified distance from the station. There are numerous *** hotels within 1km from the station. Sorry i can't recommend any, but do have a wonderful trip.

Jan 22nd, 2003, 06:09 PM
Russ

I used to live in Mainz and have made it my airport stop on recent visits.

You don't need a taxi. As Charlie says, there is an S-bahn leaving the "Regionalbahnhof" at Frankfurt airport (there are 2 stations - don't go to the "Fernbahnhof" to get the S-bahn! It's for long-distance trains.) They are very frequent. You'll need a ticket from the "RMV" machines - less than 5 Euros, as I recall, to Mainz.

I agree with Ann about staying near the old town. The main (Hbf) station area is loud, unattractive, and pretty torn up due to construction of the new station. It's better to take the S-bahn to the "Mainz Sud" station - it's the stop just before the main (Hbf) station in Mainz and a closer to the old town. I would further suggest that you reserve a room at the Hotel Ibis, only a block or so from the Sud station. It's clean and very reasonable - even cheaper on weekends too. It's not a "destination" but a very convenient place to come and go from. I was there just last April. This page has a little map to show you where it is (German):

www.info-mainz.de/gastst/ibis/

Use this page too - click on Mainz to get more info:

www.ibishotel.com/ibis/gb/cartographie/allemagne.shtml

The Ibis isn't in the old town but you can walk the few blocks down the cobbled Augustinerstrasse, the main route through the old town, to get there. The Ibis is also only a couple of blocks from the Rhine.

From the Sud station there are gazillions of trains that will shuttle you into Mainz Hbf for your connections to the Mosel. The Sud station is unmanned, so you'll need to get tickets from the machines there as well if you're not using a railpass (Look into the cheap daypasses - Rheinland Pfalz ticket or Happy Weekend ticket - for travel to the Mosel:

http://www.bahn.de/pv/int_guest/offe...national.shtml

Jan 22nd, 2003, 06:14 PM
Art

Stick around Mainz for a few days. Faching should be in full swing in March.

Jan 23rd, 2003, 03:15 AM
Hans H

March 3rd is Rosenmontag, the biggest day of Carneval and Mainz is one of the big Carneval cities. I'm pretty sure that you can forget finding a hotel in Mainz for that day at this time of the year. I would also be surprised if the prices wouldn't go up during Carneval. The whole thing is over on March 5th, by the way and starts at February 27th.

Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:48 AM
Maria

I'll be arriving on March 4 - so I guess I'll miss the party!

Thanks for all the info, everyone.

Russ, you're a real fountain of knowledge! It's nice to know a little bit of what I'm facing when I get there. May I push my luck and ask for more info on switching trains at Mainz Hbf - one of my first stops is a small village called Ediger-Eller. Do you know which train would get me there?

Jan 23rd, 2003, 04:19 PM
Russ

There are departures from Mainz to Ediger-Eller just about every hour - it's about 2 hours, a little longer if you take the regional trains (RE, RB) from Mainz to Koblenz that can be used with the daypasses. Go to www.bahn.de and look under International Guests to access schedules in English. You'll go from Mainz Sud to Mainz to Koblenz, then on to Ediger-Eller by RB train from there; it's the first stop after Cochem after you emerge from the tunnel. There are also some connections that will take you from Koblenz by RE train to Bullay, a larger station beyond Ediger-Eller, then have you change there and backtrack to E-E; this is sometimes a little faster, but silly, really. If you have a choice, I say take the RB train all the way from Koblenz. It stops at every little village along the way and you'll get a better look at the river towns than on the RE.

On www.bahn.de, if you begin at Mainz Sud, type in "Mainz Sued" - "Sud" is actually written with an umlaut and I think this alternative spelling for non-umlautkeyboards will call up the station more accurately.

If the bahn.de site is too much trouble,just stop at the DB information counter at the Frankfurt Airport Regionalbahnhof and ask them to print you out some schedules for your day of travel (the Mainz Sud station is unmanned and no such help is available there!) Another suggestion: At Koblenz, if you have some layover time, go to the DB info counter and ask for a pocket timetable for the Koblenz - Trier and Koblenz - Mainz routes - they're really handy for more impromptu railriding and not available at the smaller unmanned stations (Mainz probably will have the Mainz - Koblenz timetables,but not the Koblenz - Trier ones.)