Notices

Mainz, Germany - Castle Hotel

Old Nov 8th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mainz, Germany - Castle Hotel

I am trying to find a castle to stay in in Mainz, Germany, if there is one. We will be training it to Mainz. Does anyone know of one? Also, can we take the Rhine River cruise from Mainz? Mainz is about 40 minutes by train from Frankfurt. We only have a couple of days in the area. If there is another town we should go to where we can stay in a castle and also go down the Rhine, please let me know. Thanks. Barb
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 01:43 PM

No castle in Mainz, sorry. Only a bishop's palace which is occupied, of course, by the bishop.

There are a number of castle hotels inside the Middle Rhine Valley, for example at St. Goar (google for "Burg Rheinfels").

This website will tell you a lot of details about the most famous part of the Rhine valley: http://www.welterbe-mittelrheintal.d...php?id=318&L=3

... and this one has a list of castle hotels in Germany: http://www.burg-hotels.de/Roses_of_G...rmany_eng.html

Old Nov 8th, 2006, 03:49 PM

The best part of the Rhine to cruise on, in my opinion, is from Rudesheim in the south, to St. Goar or Boppard in the north. This is the part of the Rhine with the beautiful hills, vineyards, and castles around every turn.
There is a castle hotel above Kaub, called Gutenfels. I have stayed there. The service was somewhat Spartan, but the experience was priceless, and the views were great. I know there are other castle hotels along that stretch, a nice one is, I think, above Oberwessel.
Mainz is fine, but if I had to choose, I would stay along the Rhine in the area I mentioned.
You can cruise, I think, from Mainz, but you would be better off taking the short cruise I have described. It takes about a 1/2 day round trip.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 09:53 AM

http://www.jpmoser.com/aufschoenburg.html

Plus there are others. Google Rhein Castles.

Curious
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. I'll check into those sites.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 05:47 PM

Nice link Curious, I wish I had found that before my trip. Anyway, it brings back good memories.