Search

Castles along the Rhine

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Castles along the Rhine

Want to see castles along the Rhine. I do
want to take a 7 day cruise. does anyone know or have done a one or two day cruise on the Rhine. Any and all information will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 07:29 PM

Most of the castles are along a small stretch of the Rhine. Easily seen in a day or less. One of the largest ship companies is K-D. http://www.k-d.com/englisch/index.html
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 04:22 AM
rex

topping...
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 04:28 AM

Mike- definitely follow gforaker's advice. If you want to see the best castles, and scenery I would base myself somewhere just south of Boppard, most likely in St. Goar as there are more boats in this area and 1 day could be used to explore upstream and the other downstrean. Boats leave about every 2 hours. If possible visit Marksburg castle in Braubach - a real castle and definitely impressive! If you are really into castles, consider the "BurgerTicket" which allows access to 10 Rhine castles at discounted prices.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Charlie B,
From other posts it seems the K-D day river cruise from Koblenz to Rudisheim seems like a good ride to see many castles. What does the BurgerTicket include if we have one day? We would like to stop and visit some castles. Does the K-D cruise able us to to that?
Thanks,
Mike
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 08:05 PM

I like an overnight in Boppard to start. it's a very nice town with Roman ruins and there's not really that much more to see from Koblenz, although its a nice stop. Its going to be a long hike up to see any castles and you will have to choose if you are going by foot. St Goar is nice with Burg Rheinfels and is an easy walk up. Burg Eltz is a little off the Rhine, but worth the trip. Most of the Rhine castles were destroyed except for Eltz (actually off the Rhine), saved by its seclusion. I think it is best to get a good seat and stay and enjoy for the entire trip instead of getting off each stop. On a nice day, seats on the upper level can go fast with the left side going down river being the better side. You don't really want to try to find new seats from each town. If you are getting off in Rudisheim, visit Asbach Uralt, a great visit and take the train back to your car or to visit the towns and castles you like. Some castles are either only accessible by car or are private.