Madrid vs Andalucía

Search

Madrid vs Andalucía

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madrid vs Andalucía

My partner and I are visiting Spain for the very first time, flying into Madrid March 26 and departing 8 days later. In a week, we're certainly not going to see it all, but being a New Yorker, I wanted to get some time away from the big city, so in addition to Madrid, I'm planning on some time in the Andalucía.

Day 1 & 2: Arrive in Madrid, take train to Seville. 2 nights in Seville.
Day 3 & 4: 2 nights in Granada.
Day 5: 1 night in Cordoba.
Day 6 - 8: 3 nights in Madrid, which allows for one day to explore Madrid, and perhaps a day to visit Toledo.

This is a little more jumping around than I wanted to do, and I'm almost wondering if I should just add two nights in Andalucía, and only spend one night in Madrid, in order to catch my morning flight the next morning.

Would it be crazy not to spend a few nights in Madrid?
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 01:11 PM

No, but Toledo is so worth a visit, and I liked staying over there more than just a day visit. However, it is worth the day trip just to walk in the town and visit the cathedral.
Two nights is great for Granada.
I would not transfer to Cordoba for just a night, but visit as a day trip from Seville.
Would flight connections work for you to continue on to Granada right after landing in Madrid?
Consider
2 nts Granada
3 nts Seville
3 nts Madrid
Or
2 nts Granada
4 nts Seville
2 nts Madrid
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 01:14 PM

I think you'd be wiser to spend those days in Andalucía. However, there are great museums in Madrid--the Prado especially. If you like art museums, it's a great one. The royal palace is also interesting.

But I'd prefer to spend my time in Andalucía. I like the atmosphere and the architecture in Sevilla.
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 01:23 PM

It's way too much for 8 days. I've done 2 of those in 10 days (Madrid and Seville), going to Cordoba as a day trip from Seville. I like Madrid myself, they have some fantastic museums, but if you are not into art museums at all, you might not like it so much. Of course there is other stuff to see, but that is one of their big assets.
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 01:38 PM

You won't be quite as jet lagged if flying in from NYC, but you only have 7 days, not 8, which cuts into what you can reasonably see and do. If you haven't already bought your tickets, then I would look at flying into Sevilla and out Madrid, spending the first 4 nights in Sevilla and finishing up the week in Madrid.

If you've already purchase your tickets, then having to travel back to Madrid will cut into one more day you could spend enjoying the brief time in Spain.
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 02:07 PM
kja

What are your interests? Knowing a bit about that will help us figure out how to help you pare down your overly ambitious itinerary.
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all.

Kja, we like to experience the local culture and history. We are both active, so we usually explore the towns/cities we visit on foot, or using public transportation. We love to eat and prioritize regional cuisine (ideally in non-touristy settings). Neither of us are big museum people.

We live in Manhattan and we get plenty of exciting city energy in our lives. So, often I will plan visits to Europe with some time in more laid back places. A trip to London last year, for example, also included some time in Bath, which we loved.
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 02:58 PM

I am doing a similar trip and leave in about two weeks. I also live in NY and don't want to hang too long in Madrid. I am flying into Madrid and out of Granada so I don't have to circle back to Madrid and lose time and so I can decompress in the South before I return back to NYC. I have been to Madrid for one day before and it is a cool spot but definitely a city. Can you fly back from another airport, Malaga and Granada worked for me and it did not cost much more.
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 03:00 PM

I am only going to Madrid so I can hit Toledo, it looks like something I can't miss but I have a bit more time than you (11 days). I think you should focus on the South and really relax.
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 03:18 PM

I agree with Sassafrass-- and coming from Manhattan, where we also are nearby, the other Spanish cities seem to offer more character; I wished we had dropped a night from Madrid and added to Barcelona or to the southern coast. Yes, Prado is a world-class museum, but most of its artists I presume you have seen multiple times at the Met, either via special exhibit or its permanent holdings. We have been to several of the other world-class art museums and palaces, and now, if the weather is good, we choose to pass for a local adventure instead. Now, Gaudi you do not see much out of Spain, if at all, and we found his architecture, materials, colors simply amazing in Barcelona -- what a sensory treat. We didn't pick up a vibe from Madrid as we did from the other cities we visited; the heralded Sunday market carried mostly what you see every other wknd at NYC flea markets. Of course, you are visiting the Alhambra while in Granada, it is stunning.
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 03:20 PM

Wednesday we got back from Andulacia & Madrid. We stayed in Cordoba for 2 nights, Granada 3 nights, Ronda 2 nights,
Cadiz 1 night, Sevilla 3 nights, and ended in Madrid for 1 night (we were there for 5 nights last year). We also visited Barcelona for 4 nights.

Last year we visited Madrid for 5 nights, Toledo 2 nights, Salamanca 3 nights, Avila 1 night, Segovia 3 nights.

We spend about 2 months vacationing in Europe every year - mainly France.

Any way to schedule it - travel between these cities will "consume" about 1/2 a day. It is really dark in the AM - so set your "clock" back 1 hr - which makes it difficult to get up, catch a taxi, and make it to the train station first thing in the morning.

Highlights:
Madrid - fantastic architecture & dining.
Barcelona
Sevilla
Cadiz

Dining isn't as "big" in Andalucia as it is in Madrid, Barcelona, or San Sebastian (from our experience - and I also read this in a guide book).

The Alhambra in Granada took us 4 1/2 hrs to explore. The city of Granada wasn't as interesting as Sevilla or Cadiz in Andulacia. I wouldn't recommend that friends go to Granada - except to see the Alhambra (which was fantastic).

You really only have:
5 days in Madrid
1 1/2 days in Sevilla
1/2 day in Cordoba (not one of my favorites)
1 1/2 days in Granada.

The train stations are not in the center of these cities (you could stay close to the station in Madrid). It will take you a taxi ride to get to the main attractions (assuming your hotel is close to the attractions) from the train station. The Alhambra is not in the center of town either. Unless you stay at the Alhambra Palace (where we stayed), you will need to take a taxi to the Alhambra or a bus. The Alhambra is exhausting - physically and visually. We went back to the hotel & rested/crashed after our 4 1/2 at the Alhambra.

If I had only 8 nights/7 days there, I would do:
- 5 nights/4 1/2 days in Madrid with a day-trip to Toledo
- 3 nights/2 1/2 days in Sevilla

Really "think about" whether you want to visit the Alhambra or not. IMO, the Alhambra is the only reason to go to Granada.

You'll see pretty much the same stuff in Cordoba (Mezquita/Cathedral) as you'll see in Sevilla (Alcazar/Cathedral) and Granada (Alhambra/Cathedral). So I don't think it's worth the travel/visiting time "lost" going to Cordoba.

I highly recommend that you stay at the Dona Maria in Sevilla - excellent location next to the Cathedral/Alcazar, & great hotel.

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 03:41 PM

Glad to hear someone likes Madrid...very few Fodorites do.
We have visited four times ( going again next week.)
.....so much art, beautiful parks, splendid plazas, elegant shops and streets in Serrano-Salamnca,
great food, many interesting day trips...What is not to like.
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 04:53 PM
kja

I loved Madrid - but then, I adore art and I happily spent most of my time in Madrid in its extraordinary museums. No matter how many world-class exhibits I've seen, I really appreciate the chance to spend time in museums, where I see not just the best known pieces, but also pieces that don't travel, pieces that aren't "special" enough to travel, lesser known artists, etc.

I found more to enjoy in both Cordoba and Granada than Stu Dudley -- I thought Cordoba easily worth 2 full days and I found much more to Granada than just the Alhambra (I spent a bit more than 2 full days in Granada). I'll add that the Alhambra remains one of my all-time favorite travel experiences, so I would go there in a heartbeat even if there was nothing else to see there.

And I saw many differences between Cordoba, Sevilla, and Granada. The Mezquita in Cordoba is IMO unique; there is nothing comparable in Sevilla, Granada, or anywhere else. To me, saying that they are so similar that you can skip Cordoba is like saying that one can skip Chartres if one has seen Paris and Rouen. (No offense, Stu -- Just my perspective.)

Hope that helps!
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 05:04 PM

kja

The OP really need to remove some destinations in his itinerary. Which ones do you suggest???

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 05:31 PM
kja

Good question, Stu! I'm glad I'm not the OP. who is definitely facing some tough choices. I personally would defer Andalusia until I could give it at least 10 days, if not more. With only 8 days, I'd consider a trip that included Madrid, Toledo, Segovia, Avila, and Salamanca.
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 05:49 PM

Of course, each place is different and each has something to offer, but must agree with Stu about the similarities between some sights. I've spent 2 days in Cordoba, 3 in Granada, 4 in Seville and 6 in Madrid as well as 2 in Toledo and time in several other towns.

I also love Madrid and the Prado, but you say you are not big museum people, so if that is not a priority, you will probably get more out of your trip by experiencing the culture and the wonderful architecture than looking at pictures. So cut time in Madrid and do not worry that you are missing out.

Yes, the Mezquita is amazing, but you get a feeling for architecture in Seville and Granada, so skip Cordoba or do it as a quick day trip from Seville. What you could do is stay in Seville and if you feel you are done with seeing Seville, hop the train to Cordoba, so you can leave that open.

I do think the cathedral in Toledo is so incredible that it alone is worth a day trip from Madrid - if you are already flying onto or out of Madrid. If you fly into or out of Seville or Granada or Marbella, than no.

The Alhambra in Granada is a one of a kind, don't miss, sight, so unless you are sure to return to Spain, do see it.
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 06:46 PM
kja

I'm so glad I saw things that Stu and Sassafrass apparently missed! I'm sure they've seen things that I failed to appreciate. Vive la différence!
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your amazing input. I clearly am going to have to start planning my next trip to Spain the moment I return!
Old Oct 12th, 2013, 03:22 AM

I've previously posted these suggestions for wonderful Madrid:

Have breakfast or lunch at Café del Círculo de Bellas Artes in down town Calle Alcalá, 42. One of the city's most emblematic cafés. Grab a window table and watch Madrid life on bustling Calle Alcalá. Take the lift up to the roof topp terrace (the azotea) for great views of the city. http://www.esmadrid.com/en/cargarApl...ntificador=179

Watch the sunset over the Guadarrama mountains from the terrace at El Ventorrillo in the Vistillas park. Great pollo al ajillo (garlic chicken), some say the best in town. Map, video and some pictures: http://11870.com/pro/restaurante-ventorrillo

Have lunch or some tapas at Casa Granada, on the 6th floor of an apartment building just off Plaza Tirso de Molina. Hard to find and an excellent terrace. http://www.tripfilms.com/Travel_Vide...ada-Video.html

Café Central, just off bustling Plaza Santa Ana, is a fabulous jazz venue with live performances from the best artists every night at 10. Artists shift every week. Entrance 15€. Good food also. Populart, a little further down the street, is also a great place. http://www.cafecentralmadrid.com/
http://www.populart.es/

Experience world class flamenco at one of the best tablaos. Madrid is arguably the flamenco capital of the world. Although the art form comes from the South (Andalucía), everybody has to conquer Madrid to get to the top. On their way there, or as an opportunity to try out new things and get an up close audience, many of them work the top tablaos. I recommend Casa Patas and Cardamomo, both close to Plaza Santa Ana.
http://www.casapatas.com/
http://www.cardamomo.es/

A stroll in the beautiful Retiro Park. http://www.aviewoncities.com/madrid/parquedelretiro.htm

Asturian Casa Mingo for the best grilled chicken and cider: http://www.casamingo.es/
Watch the video, and you're sold:
http://11870.com/pro/casa-mingo/videos/bc313f19

Txirimiri in Calle del Humilladero, 6 gives you an idea of why the Basque kitchen is considered among the best in the world. In the midst of one of the best tapas/restaurant districts in town, in and around Calle Cava Baja in La Latina.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...ri-Madrid.html

I never leave Madrid without having had the squid in its own ink and the famous cod at Casa Revuelta, also in the same district.
http://11870.com/pro/casa-revuelta
Old Oct 12th, 2013, 04:03 AM

>> I clearly am going to have to start planning my next trip to Spain the moment I return!<<

That's exactly what we did after we returned from our two trips to Spain last year (we also visited the Pyrenees & Pays Basque from France). The cities in Spain exceeded our expectations. The countryside around Madrid was only so-so/boring, but the Sierra Nevada mountains & white villages around Ronda were scenic.

Stu Dudley

Stu Dudley

Stu Dudley

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -