Madrid to Malaga to Granada

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2019, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope someone can help with my trip planning. My spouse and I will be taking an easy-pace tour (3 nights each starting in Barcelona, San Sebastian, and ending in Madrid). The tour includes Bilbao and Toledo and more. We want to extend the trip with a day or two more in Madrid and then travel to Malaga by high-speed train for a few days (and taking a day tour from Malaga to Granada to see the Alhambra) and then fly from Malaga to Barcelona to spend 5 to 7 more days. We could spend a total of 21 days.

We would appreciate any comments on the additional days or suggestions about means of travel by bus, train, or air. All suggestions welcome.
Old Feb 25th, 2019, 12:33 PM

Trains are about as fast as planes on that route given for planes you have to check-in early, have delays, retrieve baggage and get into towns, etc. But booking high-speed trains as early as possible can yield sweat discounts of about half off full fare, which is always available. Book at Renfe - Spanish railways site where you can book your own trains but that sight flummoxes many here it seems - www.seat61.com has all the answers to booking your own discounted tickets - general info trains - BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com. Easy way to get schedules - www.bahn.de/en - German Railways site with schedules of all European trains - but can't book online Spanish trains there.
Old Feb 25th, 2019, 04:21 PM
kja

I’m not sure what you consider “an easy-pace tour”—the one you describe certainly doesn’t sound like an easy pace to me! – but as for your question about the Alhambra: Seeing the Alhambra can easily take a full day, which would make staying in Granada 2 nights an option worth considering. And if you want to see any of Granada’s other treasures, spending a 3rdnight there is also worth considering. Be sure to book your tickets for the Alhambra well in advance.

Enjoy!
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 10:38 AM

Is Toledo the only town close to Madrid, which is included in your tour? You can also visit amazing Castille & Leon towns from Madrid (Segovia, Avila, Salamanca) and the palace of Spanish Kings in El Escorial. If you consider these destinations, then spend more time in Madrid. Also, Madrid itself is phenomenal and spending just one or two days there would be a pity; especially, if you are an art lover.

In Andalucia, are you skipping Seville intentionally? Maybe you have already been there?
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 11:20 AM

Aranjuez, the Castillian Versailles is also a short day trip by train or bus from Madrid - for some reason never see it mentioned but I thought it was awesome:

https://www.google.com/search?q=aran...h=535&dpr=1.75
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 01:07 PM

I agree with kja about spending 2 or 3 nights in Granada to see the Alhambra. The Alhambra is a beautiful and amazing historical site that should not be rushed through. We spent almost a whole day there visiting the Nasrid Palace, the Generalife Gardens and the Alcazaba. We stopped for lunch, then for drinks and snacks, and walked leisurely from the Nasrid Palace to the Generalife Gardens taking photos along the way and savoring every moment. We also had a night time tour of the Nasrid Palace, which is magical with its soft lighting, fewer crowds, and the sounds of murmuring water fountains.

We also enjoyed Malaga very much. And i think it would be nice to spend a few days by the sea and enjoy the coastal ambiance. You could spend 5 additional days in Barcelona, instead of 7, and use those 2 days for Granada.

Is your total trip 21 days (including the tour)?
Old Feb 28th, 2019, 02:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Karen - we did exactly the same things. Staying in the Hotel Guadalupe right opposite the Alhambra was very convenient and it's surprisingly reasonable for its situation. I would definitely swap 2 days in Barcelona to be able to stay in Granada.