Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Madrid, then onto Adalucia. How should we go, train, car?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning our trip.
We will be arriving in Madrid at the end of April. From there we are going to Sevilla, Ronda and Granada, or Granada, Ronda, Sevilla. Then flying on to Barcelona.

We are deciding whether it is best to go by train from Madrid to Sevilla, and if so when do we need to book the train tickets. Then rent a car and drive on to Ronda and Granada.
Or rent the car in Madrid and drive to Granada, Ronda, and Sevilla, then fly to Barcelona from Sevilla.

Question 1. If we go by train to Sevilla, when do I need to book the train tickets from Madrid to Sevilla

Question 2. How is the drive from Madrid to Granada or Madrid to Sevilla.

Question 3. Any comments on driving between Granda, Ronda, and Sevilla.

Thanks
amy
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 12:49 PM

Train to Sevilla and get your car when you leave there. You do not want a car in any of your major cities.
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 09:29 PM

I recently bought very cheap tix from Madrid to Seville (travelling the end of March) through the Renfe website - it is, as some call it, an "Alice in Wonderland" experience - but persevere, and you might find incredible deals on the AVE (fast trains), depending on when you travel. The webfare rates go online 62 days before date of travel....you can easily navigate the website by reading lengthy, but important instructions posted on tripadvisor.com - in the Spain forums. Good luck!!
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 04:53 AM

Yes, book a train at www.renfe.es, with cheap ticklets if you pre-book. You simply print out your own ticket. Booking opens 60 days before departure.

Cars are great for exploring the countryside, but are a liability within European cities.

You can also book the overnight sleeper from Granada or Seville to Barcelona at www.renfe.es, with no need to fly. It'll save a hotel bill too - some sleepers have private tolet & shower, a great experience, with no airport hassles.
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

it seems that most people are suggesting the train.

what is the car ride from madrid like?

When i first 'dreamed" of the trip, I felt that a car would give us the chance to explore the country a bit more. Is there anything interesting to see between Granda and Madrid
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 08:37 PM

A bit North of Granada, you will find the towns of Baeza and Ubeda. Both Unesco world heritage sites. Check Google for some first impressions.
Again North of that you will have the Sierra Morena as the last "barrier" between Andalucia and the plains.
After that I get a bit weak on suggestions. Valdepeñas should be a good location for wine lovers, though I cannot comment on scenery.
Once you get to the Southern parts of the Madrid region, you will have many destinations again, like Toledo or Aranjuez.

Between Baeza/Ubeda and Toledo/Aranjuez you will probably see very few tourists from abroad, so some basic command or a few phrases of Spanish will be helpful to get around.
It will also depend on how much time you can/wish to devote to that road trip from Granada to Madrid.
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 04:32 AM

If you are not spending anytime in Madrid I would recommend that you check airfare from Mad to Sevilla. You are already at the airport and would save you the hassle of having to transfer to Atocha.
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 09:16 AM

The car ride from Madrid to Sevilla is long and boring and something I would not want to do. The high speed train is great. There is no need to have a car in Spain. If you feel the need to rent a car, rent one upon leaving Sevilla, drive to Ronda for a couple of hrs. (or spend one night), drive on to Granada and drop off the car right away. You do not want a car in Seville or Granada. Unless you have 15 or more days in Andalucia there really is not time to explore the countryside. The cities are so fantastic that for me I would feel like I was missing out on something if I was staying in the small towns, that's just me though. The drive from Granada to Madrid is also quite boring IMO. Have you ever driven in southern California?
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 09:26 AM

The drive is not that exciting if you stay on the mainhighway. If you stop of and se places - we loved Ubeda - then it's worthwhile.

Also - you don't say how many you are. For a couple train will probably be less for a family possibly not.

We do road trips whenever possible and drove all over Spain - had many interesting experieces/stops - some unplanned - and feel it is relly worthwhile. I don;t know why so many people advise against it - to me it gives you a lot more options and reedom to explore. (Perhaps it doesn;t bother me since I'm used to paying to park and/or loking for a parking spot in center cities. If you don;t do that all the time you may feel it to be an inconvenience.)