Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Madrid: stay near Plaza Mayor or Paseo del Prado?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 06:46 AM
Becky

We are trying to make our reservations for May. We are spending one night in Madrid. We have a couple of options. Should we stay near the Plaza Mayor area(probably around Plaza de Isabell II) OR<BR>in the area east of Paseo del Prado(probably off C. Atocha)?<BR><BR>Which area is pedestrian friendly and architecturally unique? We don't need nightlife or bars, but want to be centrally located. Thanks for your input.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 06:48 AM
Becky

Correction: WEST of Paseo del Prado<BR><BR>Never very good with maps

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Michelle

Staying near Paseo del Prado is definitely keeping you close to the Museo del Prado and the train station. But, I feel that it's a bit more sterile down there and I don't think there are many pedestrians at all once the museum has closed.<BR><BR>Staying closer to the Plaza Mayor will be more "spanish-y" feeling. This also happens to be closer to the nightlife and bars, but that's because it's just closer to the action. For only one night in Madrid, this will give you more of a sense of Madrid. The Plaza mayor is architecturally BEAUTIFUL, full of people, and amazing little tapas places including the "caves" that are "underneath" the Plaza Mayor that you get to from the outter side - not the inside.<BR><BR>I vote for Plaza Mayor 100%!

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Carmen

Both places are centrlly located and not so far away from each other (25 minutes walking or 10 minutes by public transport), I consider them to be almost in the same area. I would choose to be near Plaza Mayor (more lively and touristy area) over calle Atocha (more residential).

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 11:24 AM
r

yo, tombien. Plaza Mayor. Don't even hesitate. Bon Voyage.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Maribel

Becky,<BR>For only 1 night I wouldn't stay off Calle Atocha-nothing very unique going on down there architectually except for the winter garden inside the Puerta de Atocha rail station-just lots and lots of traffic-hard on pedestrians actually. Stay in the heart of Old Madrid (but be prepared for lots of noise, but if you're young and adventurous that probably won't bother you-you'll probably enjoy the nightlife).<BR>The area around Plaza Isabel II (metro: Opera) is adjacent to the Royal Theater and the Royal Palace and Madrid's most beautiful square at night, the Plaza del Oriente. Sit out on the terrace of the Cafe del Oriente and watch the children at play in the Lepanto gardens and the nightly promenade in the square-it will give you a real feeling of the life of the city. <BR>Have fun!

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 01:49 PM
Becky

We have reservations on Calle Fuentes off Plaza de Isabel II (Hostal Las Fuentes). I didn't know if I should cancel for something near the Prado, but I think your suggestions have helped me decide not to cancel.<BR><BR>Is there anywhere near Plaza de Isabel we shouldn't miss (restaurants, tapa bars, shops to bring home a piece of Madrid)?

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Maribel

Becky,<BR>In the Plaza de Oriente/Teatro Real area, I'd take advantage of the several dining venues of the Cafe del Oriente, which provides something nice for every budget-tapas, full meal, drinks, brkf., etc., It's always dependable and nice service. And at its "Botilleria", around the corner, they sell gourmet food items as well. <BR>I'd also go for nice tapas ("patatas a lo pobre" is a yummy specialty) to the Taberna del Alabardero, on Felipe V, on a pedestrian street to the right of the Teatro Real, when facing it from the Opera metro entrance. You can sit at banquettes and marble top tables at the front bar or in the back (cozier)-has a turn of the century atmosphere. And there's great people watching on the outdoor tables at 8 before the opera begins. It's part of the dining empire of a famous priest and the king's confessor, Luis Lezama, who built his restaurant empire to sustain his orphanages and to help underprivileged youth. (There&Otilde;s a branch in D.C.) You can eat Basque type tapas there and serve a noble purpose at the same time! I take all my friends there, and it never disappoints.<BR>And you'll have tapas possibilities galore if you walk to the Plaza Mayor (but the tapas bars on the Plaza itself are touristy and quite over-priced), then go through the archway of the southwest corner of this beautiful square and down the stairs, (past the "bandit" posted outside the touristy "Cuevas de Luis Candelas"), to the Calle Cuchilleros, then make an immediate left at the bottom of the steps and walk up the Cava San Miguel. Here you'll find the "caves", tapas bars called "mesones" named after their house specialty-the "meson del champinon" (mushrooms in garlic sauce), "meson de la tortillas" (Spanish potato omelette), etc.<BR>Then go back down Calle Cuchilleros past the famous Restaurante Botin of Hemingway fame on your left, cross the Plaza de Puerta Cerrada and continue on the Cava Baja, stopping at the super popular wine bar, "El Tempranillo" (terrific! #38-have a "tosta de trigueros") and other spots along the street. Then turn right onto Calle Almendro and you'll come to the Taberna del Almendro (#13), another great wine bar, and at the end of Almendro take another right and walk down Calle Nuncio (towards the Plaza Puerta Cerrada-you're just making a circle), where you'll find the best wine bar in the entire city, the "Taberna de 100 vinos" (#17). On wkds. it will be packed to the gills. You will have then done a superb Madrid tapas crawl. Have a great time!

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 04:05 PM
Ron

This is easy. Do not stay near the Prado. First, it is a high crime area. Several of the local store owners there warned us to be careful. Second, there isn't much to around there. The real activity is definately Purta Del Sol and Plaza Mayor.<BR><BR>This is not even a close decision. The only reason for staying near the Prado would be if you wanted to be close to the train station.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 12:01 PM
Becky

Maribel, thanks for the detailed advice and descriptions. I know we will really appreciate it when we get there! Thanks!