Madrid or Barcelona? Please Help!

Oct 3rd, 1997, 10:59 AM
Amanda

Madrid or Barcelona? Please Help!

Hi! I'm a university student from Toronto who plans on going to Spain to study Spanish between January 4 - April 5. I am trying to decide which city to study in...Madrid or Barcelona? Both Spanish programs are identical, therefore it comes down to which city I want to live in for three months. Everything I have read is very biased. I'd appreciate ANY advice you can give me concerning both cities. Thank you. Gracias.

Oct 4th, 1997, 05:53 PM
Paul Clark-Rayner

Hi,

We spent some time in Barcelona last year and it was great; the buildings are amazing(particularly Gaudi's)and the city has a real buzz about it...the street performers etc. It doesn't get as hot as Madrid..so that is a bonus...rental cars are cheap to hire and it's only a 2 hour drive into the south of France. A great base.

Hope this helps

Paul

Oct 6th, 1997, 02:57 AM
Donato Perez

Quiet and friendly hostal in the center of Madrid
http://www.hotelsearch.com/madrid/dulcinea/
Also apartments
http://simarro.net/apartahotel/Apart...sDulcinea.html

Oct 8th, 1997, 09:29 AM
Maria

I went to both Barcelona and Madrid last October. I
stayed three days in Barcelona and five in Madrid.
Barcelona is the place to go. Next time I go it will be to Barcelona. Barcelona has the conveniences of the big city, with all the charms of
a smaller town. It is a lovely city, and you won't
regret it. Madrid reminded me of New York (not the
better areas of New York). By the way, there is a
seaside town about half an hour from Barcelona called Sitges. Very, very nice. It can be reached by train. Enjoy your stay there.

Oct 8th, 1997, 09:31 AM
Maria

I went to both Barcelona and Madrid last October. I
stayed three days in Barcelona and five in Madrid.
Barcelona is the place to go. Next time I go it will be to Barcelona. Barcelona has the conveniences of the big city, with all the charms of
a smaller town. It is a lovely city, and you won't
regret it. Madrid reminded me of New York (not the
better areas of New York). By the way, there is a
seaside town about half an hour from Barcelona called Sitges. Very, very nice. It can be reached by train. Enjoy your stay there.

Oct 14th, 1997, 02:34 AM
Mark

No question.....definately Barcelona!! It's head and tails over Madrid. I spent 3 dull months in Madrid when I was in college. Ugh. How many times can one go to the Prado Museum after all. That's about all that's of any worth in Madrid IMO. It's like LA only everyone speaks Spanish instead of 40%25 of the people.

Barcelona is much better. Like he said earlier Gaudi's buildings are fantastic and so are the other Art Nouveau buildings all over the city. Put do beware of pickpockets in Barcelona........the city is infamous for them and rightly so. They often use tricks like spraying shaving cream on you when you're not looking then "helping" you clean up.

Oct 16th, 1997, 06:22 AM
Marcie

Add one more vote for Barcelona. I think you'll love it there! Marcie

Oct 26th, 1997, 08:15 AM
Marthese

another vote for Barcellona. Much nicer, nea the sea, more things to see, nicer night life. Enjoy it.

Oct 29th, 1997, 11:35 AM
Jay

No contest..Barcellona!

Oct 29th, 1997, 03:43 PM
Sharon

We spent two weeks in Spain two years ago. I didn't think Spain was that great. But, I loved Barcelona and would go again in a minute.

Definitely Barcelona!

Have fun.

Oct 29th, 1997, 06:41 PM
a. Lukosky

go for Barcelona! Get a cheap hotel on Las Rambals. Walk it and fall in love with barcelona. We, as unbiased travel writer did! BARCELONA
wsithout Gaudi's 13 monuments would draw no tourists! Go to all 13 and take photos! Buena Suerte!