Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

ON A HUMOROUS NOTE DID YOU KNOW THAT CLAIROL INTRODUCED THE "MIST STICK", A CURLING IRON, INTO GERMANDY TO FIND OUT THAT MIST IS SLANG FOR MANURE. NOT TOO MANY PEOPLE HAD USE FOR THE MANURE STICK!!

ON A HUMOROUS NOTE DID YOU KNOW THAT CLAIROL INTRODUCED THE "MIST STICK", A CURLING IRON, INTO GERMANDY TO FIND OUT THAT MIST IS SLANG FOR MANURE. NOT TOO MANY PEOPLE HAD USE FOR THE MANURE STICK!!

Sep 27th, 1997, 10:14 AM
TRICIA

NOT TO BE OUTDONE PUFFS TISSUE TRIED LATER TO INTRODUCE ITS PRODUCT ONLY TO LEARN THAT "PUFF' IN GERMAN IS A COLLOQUIAL TERM FOR A WHOREHOUSE. (IF YOU HAVE A FUNNY ANDEDOTE TO TELL, WOULD LOVE TO HEAR IT)

Sep 28th, 1997, 02:45 AM
julie

Nothing to do with Germany but I met a guy from
Hong Kong whose name was 'Hymen'!!!

Oct 6th, 1997, 06:17 PM
sam

These are lovely stories, but would you please stop shouting.

Oct 6th, 1997, 11:00 PM
Hanna

Who is shouting you jerk! If u didn't like it why bring it back up. Personally I think its cute and funny, something you obviously are not! Bet you are real stick in the mud on a trip!

Oct 18th, 1997, 10:04 AM
James

On the internet using all capital letters is considered shouting. It is considered good etiquette to type the way you would normally speak.

Oct 18th, 1997, 10:42 AM
Tricia

My kids told me-why don't you just let it die or E mail me direct-do you have to keep sending it up!

Oct 28th, 1997, 08:43 AM
stacy

That really is funny! Some of you marketing folks may have heard of these.... Chevrolet introduced the Nova in Spain, and after record low sales on this brand they found that Nova means "NO GO!"

Other examples where brand names haven't worked for english speaking countries have been Super Piss, a Finnish anti-freeze for car locks and a French soft drink called Pshitt. TRUE CASES!!

Oct 30th, 1997, 02:29 AM
Elle

A similar thing happened when an Irish Liqueur was launched on the market. It's name "Irish Mist"!! It's still on sale around the rest of the world - not sure if it's still on sale in Germany though!! Though perhaps us Irish have alcohol in our systems to 'that' degree!!