Madrid or Barcelona in March?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all- we are going to spend 5 days in Paris and then fly to Spain for 4 days, but we cannot decide whether to go to Barcelona or Madrid! )We are 30 something, no kids, love architecture, food, culture, cafes.)

I checked into trying 4 days in Paris, 3 days in Barcelona and a quick weekend in Madrid, but I think that might feel too rushed and too many airports/flights to enjoy ourselves.

I've heard Madrid is a bit bustling and Barcelona much more quaint, but is Barcelona worth 4 days, at the cost of Madrid?
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 07:38 AM

just visited both cities a week ago.
Although Madrid is absolutely worth a visit , we lost our harts to Barcelona.
We stayed 7 full days and could have used a few more.
It is a fantastic city.
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 07:47 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a great time in both places but if you're just going to one I'd vote for Barcelona. There is the unique Gaudi architecture, great Catalan food, plentiful cultural opportunities including concerts and opera in gorgeous venues, fascinating Roman ruins, varied topography and seaside atmosphere.

On the other hand, Madrid has a wonderful atmosphere in the evenings, lots of fun to go from cafe to bar to beer hall sampling tapas, fun evenings of flamenco, three wonderful art museums (my favorite was the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum).

My trip report from Barcelona in February:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34955177
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 08:44 AM

I love Barcelona, primarily because of the architecture, but also because of a certain ambiance I noted there. I always assume I'm going back to a given country and can visit whatever cities I missed the first time round. I think I'd save Madrid for another time.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 01:08 AM

4 days for Barcelona is ok, if you feel that you have seen everything you wanted to visit in the city, do a daytrip to Tarragona or Gerona or Montserrat.

If you split those 4 days into Madrid and Barna you'll feel you haven't seen everything you wanted.

Leave Madrid for other trip, two or three days for Madrid and another two days at least for daytrips from Madrid.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 03:52 AM

Check out the weather - what are the average temps. I was in Barcelona in March (2006) and it was lovely, highs in the 60s and 70s. I was in Madrid in July (2007) so can't speak to March weather there, but I believe it's considerably cooler than Barcelona in March.

Also, if I had to choose just one it would be Barcelona. We did 4 days (after 6 in Paris) and it was wonderful. I definitly want to go back, but with 4 days I feel I saw the major things I wanted to and didn't feel rushed.