Madrid - need advice...scared Mom!

Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 10:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madrid - need advice...scared Mom!

My family of four (kids 10 & 13) will be in Madrid 4 days, Nov. 9 -12. I may have made a mistake with our apartment choice. I was reading a 2006 guidebook on Spain when I came across this: "The small streets north of Gran Via are particularly dangerous, even before nightfall". That's where our apartment is! Our address is:

Corredera Baja de San Pablo, 8

Would someone please let me know if this is a bad area.I am more than willing to give up our deposit and find something else rather than expose my kids to something dangerous and/or seedy, but I need to move fast if that's the case. Thank you in advance for your help!,
Cynthia (Worried Mom)
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 11:24 PM
car

Cynthia,
I don't think the area is particulary dangerous, it is more unpleasent than anything else. narrow streets, and some old buildings in bad conditions,
You can also see some street women, in the area.
It is more important if the apartment itself is clean, and comfortable.
You are also well located in terms of tourist attractions and main sites, with nearby underground and lots of shops.
You have to take the normal care that you do in any big city.
And bring your umbrellas as after two years of almust no rain is finally raining.

Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your reply. I feel much better!
Cynthia (Not so worried Mom ;-)
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 03:09 PM

Dear worried mom:
I think the area south of the GranVia (i.e., between the GranVia and the Puerta del Sol) is more 'seedy.' I was there with my then 17-year-old son and the streetwalkers tried their best to accost him. We were going into the Metro at the GranVia station and they were swarming after him!

My (wife's) niece and her family live a little further north - we used to like 'tasca-hopping' in their neighborhood. There also used to be a good Flamenco nightclub in that neighborhood (Las Brujas). I'm not sure if it is there anymore.

Of course, as car writes: "You have to take the normal care that you do in any big city."
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 06:27 AM
begbie

hi
the corredor bajo de san pablo is not really that bad an area. where you want ot avoid is the calle ballesta areas such as montera and streets off there. avoid the plaza luna, although there is more police activity there than there used to be . avoid streets like desengaño. you'll know then when you see them. as anywhere, just keep an out to see whos about but you dont have to be excessivly paranoid or anything.