Cirigiliano, Italy Help

Search

Cirigiliano, Italy Help

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2006, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cirigiliano, Italy Help

I plan on traveling to Italy this September or October. I have two questions - are one of these months a better time to go?

Next - the main purpose of this trip is to bring my father to the village his parents grew up in which is Cirigliano in the region of Basilicata. We will visit other cities after here. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to get to Cirigliano as I know we'll have to drive there or get some sort of car service? Also, any insight on this village at all would be helpful.

Thanks!

Old May 31st, 2006, 07:48 AM

Here is the Italian Tourist Office's page about Cirigliano:

http://www.enit.it/comuniris.asp?Lan...ogo=CIRIGLIANO

According to www.trenitalia.com, there is no train to Cirigliano, so your best idea might be to drive. www.mappy.com will give you instructions. It is 434 km from Rome and the trip should take 4 hours 39 minutes according to mappy.com, which generally underestimates times. You could, of course, drive from somewhere closer to Corigliano.

September is - at least in central Italy - still high season, and the weather is generally still very good. In Basilicata, October may also still be quite warm.

You can check out the historical weather records for Potenza, the capital of Basilicata, at www.weatherbase.com.

You and/or your father may enjoy reading "Seasons in Basilicata" by Peter Yeadon, an account of a year spent in a small hill village in Basilicata.
Old May 31st, 2006, 08:12 AM
bellastarr

Hi Castronova-
I also posted this same message on your forst thread, I apologize for the repetition...

I am in the Naples area now, and am driving to the Basilicata tomorrow with a couple of Italian friends.
Sorry that I don't know anything about the village of Cirigliano. We are driving there but I think there are trains to Matera at least.
I think September would be a good time, but either month is probably good. Oh, I wish I could be of more help!
My only suggestion is that if you don't speak Italian, it would be good to hire a driver who can help you talk to the people in Cirigliano to get ancestral information, which will enhance the experience.
Best of luck to you!

Old May 31st, 2006, 08:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear Castronova:

In 2002, my sister & I took my 81 year old mom to Basilicata to visit my grandparents town: Moliterno. We took the train from Florence to Salerno, then rented a car. The drive was about 2 hrs. We took a wrong turn, and took a more scenic route, but it was an adventure. Moliterno is at an elevation of about 900mt and has about 5000 people. It was mid October and a bit chilly at night. Otherwise the weather was great. We visited the cemetary and found some old ladies in black. My mom speaks the local dialect, so communication was easy. The old ladies knew my grandmother's family, so by the next day, we were having lunch with our long lost cousins.

I would advise getting info from the local tourist board and getting a good map. I also spoke with friends who had also visited this area. Most of the Italians in my hometown in California came from this area of Basilicata. I also looked up our family name in the white pages on the internet to get an idea if many were still around. I also brought copies of old family photos.

Good luck!!

MY
Old May 31st, 2006, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Wow - you are all so helpful. Thanks for all of your input. This will certainly get me started! Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to get a driver who speaks english as well - versus driving ourselves?
Old May 31st, 2006, 08:56 AM
bellastarr

I suggest contacting the Tourist Board of one of the larger towns and asking for references for driver/guides. I know of quite a few around Naples/Amalfi Coast/Salerno who would be willing to do it, but I think it would be good to get some references from the local area if you can..

Old May 31st, 2006, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

great - thank you bellastar!
Old May 31st, 2006, 09:26 AM

Castronova...we drove through the Basilicata region a year ago in April, stayed in Matera and the nights were quite cold. I imagine October would be more of the same.

I must tell you that driving will be very difficult in and around Cirigilano according to my very detailed EuroAtlas Italy (American Map Co.) which you can get (or look at!) in any good book store like BN or Borders.

Hairpin after hairpin curve...I suggest that if youy drive yourselves, take the Autostrada A-3 from Naples and be sure to take the cutoff E-847 signed toward Potenza...at Potenza take the #92 toward Laurenzana and Corleto (58 kms.), and at Corleto, take the #103 east to Cirigliano (30 kms.). The latter part, the 92 and the 103, will be extremely slow-going according to the numerous zigs and zags on the map...please look at the aforementioned Atlas, pages 78 and 79 to get an idea of what I'm saying.
In short...HIRE A DRIVER, please!!
Stu T.
Old May 31st, 2006, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

yes - a driver is sounding like the best bet - not only for safety but to help us with the language barrier as we don't speak Italian. Thanks for the info on the Atlas, I will buy one this weekend!
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 06:27 AM

Hi, I was born in Cirigliano. There are two web-sites that you can visit. Cirigliano.org (in Italian), and Ciriglianomt.com (in English). These web-sites were started by individuals that are from Cirigliano or have parents/relatives from the town. September and/or October are both wonderful months, the weather is still quite nice. Hope this helps