Madrid day trips

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 07:34 AM
Heidi

Madrid day trips

I will be going to Madrid mid-October, and while I've been there before, my husband hasn't. We have 5 1/2 days to spend, so I'd like to plan some day trips. (We'll be coming from Seville/Cordoba on the AVE, so that area is already covered). What are your recommendations?
Segovia
Salamanca
Toledo
El Escorial
Something else?

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Judy

I'd like to say all of the above but you don't have enough time and feel like you've spent some time in Madrid. Our personal favorites were Toledo, Segovia, and El Escorial, Salamanca can hardly be done well in a day trip and I'm not sure of the connections to Segovia, we did a circle driving after our short stay in Madrid. Judy

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 10:27 AM
Heidi

Thanks for the quick response, Judy.

I'm a bit on the fence about Toledo, since I have heard mixed things (very touristy, a little depressing, other random negatives). Would you recommend Segovia to Toledo if you could only select one?

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Paula

I loved Toledo...don't see why people would say it's depressing unless they hit it on a rainy day at which time anyplace can feel that way. The old town is fascinating and the cathedral is worth a visit. Also, the restaurant and grounds at the Hotel Cardenal are worthwhile (the hotel was one of my favorites in Spain).

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 01:54 PM
Judy

Paula, we too stayed at the Hostal del Cardenal and really enjoyed the ambience. Heidi, I have to say that Toledo was my favorite by far, and don't miss the trip out to the Parador for a drink or whatever, the view from there looking over Toledo will never be forgotten.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 08:22 AM
linda

not mentioned how you are doing this traveling around madrid.
chinchon, darling town, many films made there, the main square is also a bullring during fiestas. restaurants have balconies all around it. also a parador in this darling town outside madrid. am not sure about public transport there. ask at hotel.
also, alcala de henares.. well connected by train, etc.
not far from airport.cervante´s brithplace.. many impressive museums and buildings, forming part of world heritage site by unesco. and the largest collection of permanent storks have ever seen. nests on every single spire. quite a sight.

and aranjuez? royal boat museum, summer palace of the kings in times past.
these are relaxed small towns.. great for stress-free travel, within 30-45 min. of madrid by car. and about the same by train.

hotels may have tours that take you around to two ro three of these on way home from somewhere else.
el escorial is very interesting.
especially reading on the personality of this king felipe 2nd.

enjoy it all.
so much to see. so little time.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 09:31 AM
Heidi

I don't dare try to drive in Spain. I've heard the cities are a nightmare--and I'm still intimidated about driving in Manhattan (even though I've been living in the area for nearly 15 years). The safer, stress free option for us is train or bus. Driving makes me too uptight anyway when I'm in a foreign place. (My husband is a transplanted Brit, so all kinds of driving are a nightmare for him.)

Thanks for your suggestions, Linda, but I'll probably just have to save those smaller places for ANOTHER trip to Spain. (That would be my third.)