madrid-barcelona-paris

Sep 19th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

madrid-barcelona-paris

Starting to plan a trip 12 days Madrid-Barcelona-Paris. Flying between cities.

1) Planning 4 days Madrid, 3 days Barcelona , 5 days Paris. The first and last days and the between days being partial days due to travel. Do you think that's a good way to break it up? Is it better to do 3 days Madrid 4 days Barcelona?

2) Looking for recommendations for hotels under 100E and recommendations on what part of city to stay.

Sep 19th, 2007, 07:21 PM

If this is your first trip to all three cities, I think that's a lot to cover in just 12 days, including travel days. You may be better off trying to enjoy two cities. What are your interests?
Sep 19th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Leburta,

I've been to Paris a couple of times, but my wife hasn't. Neither of us has been to Madrid and Barcelona.

My interests are art, architecture, gardens, history.
Sep 19th, 2007, 08:55 PM

The museums in Madrid=Prado, Thyssen, and Sofia Reina are an excellent with the Prado, bring in the top 5 of museums with general colelctions. Barcelona, on the other hand, has extraordianry architecture from the Gothic to Gaudi and Puig. I do, however, think the Picasso Museum and Miro museums are over rated. But there are few cities in the world that have its own sense of style like Barcelona.
Sep 19th, 2007, 11:07 PM

Gosh, Governator, with those interests you have some tough choices to make. The art museums in Paris (I'm sure you'll agree) and Madrid are famous. But the architecture in Barcelona (in my opinion, a "free thinkers paradise") is so unique.

If your wife has never been to Paris, then that is a must. If it were me, I would skip Madrid this trip and do Barcelona. That would give you a decent amount of time in both cities so that you can savor the sights and, yes, the romance! The contrasts will be interesting as well.
Sep 20th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Leburta,

You're right my original plan was too hectic. Now I'm thinking of a few days in Madrid, a leisurely drive or bus up to Paris for a few days , then Paris.

What do you think of that plan?

Where do you think I should stop over on the way up to Paris?
Sep 20th, 2007, 11:55 AM

I think a leisurely drive up to Paris from Madrid will take too long if you only have 12 days. Unfortunately, I've never spent time in the south of France, but I understand Avignon and Carcasonne are worth seeing. From Avignon you can take a "fast train" (TGV) to Paris.
Sep 20th, 2007, 12:05 PM

If i were sentenced to 4 days in Madrid i'd have fun by taking day trips at least two days

Toledo - exceptional

Avila, Segovia, Salamanca amongst the nicest cities in Europe

Madrid - fine museums, restos, etc. but loud, smoggy and terrible traffic.
Sep 20th, 2007, 01:47 PM

Sorry, but the traffic in Madrid isn't all that bad if you aren't driving in it.

Fly between Spain and France

www.skyscanner.net

IMO if you skip Barcelona you'll regret it later.