Madrid, Barcelona and .....

Old Apr 30th, 2017, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madrid, Barcelona and .....

Going to Spain in September. We have 2 weeks. We want to spend some time in Madrid, a week in Barcelona and then maybe go to one other destination maybe Valencia. We do not want to spend too much time travelling between destinations. Any suggestions? How much time should we spend in Madrid? We typically like to stay in a city for a week and really get to know it but looking at Valencia has me second guessing that strategy!
Old Apr 30th, 2017, 06:00 AM

Love Madrid and a cosmopolitan city with lots to see and do. Barcelona is our new favorite city and love going back there time and time again. One of best trips to Spain included the southern part-- Granada, Seville and the coast.

A always have a broad concept of where I want to go--in your case Spain for 2 weeks with Madrid and Barcelona and then the south. So see what you want to do in each place and break it down.

As it takes no time at all to get around, Madrid for 4-5 days, Barcelona for 4 days, and the south for the rest of the time. Time for a quick trip to Tangiers? Gibraltar?
Old Apr 30th, 2017, 07:15 AM

I'd consider Seville or Granada as an alternate to Valencia (although I've heard good things about Valencia.)
I spent a week in Seville once, and could've stayed longer.
I also have stayed in Madrid for a week and feel like I could go back, over and over again.

Cordoba is another town close enough to Madrid, but worth a couple days probably (I day-tripped there from Seville but felt like I could have stayed longer).

Since you have two weeks total, and want to spend a week in Barcelona, consider 3 -4 days in Madrid (incl. a day trip to Toledo by train);
and 3 -4 days in Seville, incl a day trip by train to Cordoba to see the mosque and some of the old town.
You could also day trip to Cadiz or Jerez, or one of the close "white village" towns from Seville, I think Arcos de la Frontera is one of the closest to Seville.
Old Apr 30th, 2017, 07:47 AM

I have been to Madrid many times .... A great city for those who like art museums, food,
flamenco, visiting different neighborhoods, parks etc..Manyday trips ( or longer)) possible.
train trips from Madrid ( form 30 - 1:45 min)
Toled, Segovia, Salmanca, Aranjuez, Escorial, Alcala de Henares, Zaragoza,
Valencia and Córdoba.
Old Apr 30th, 2017, 08:04 AM

ps...We spent a week in Valencia a few years ago... enjoyed the stay very much ,
( Sept. Is still beach weather)

I also went to Valencia on a day trip from Madrid with a friend who wanted to see
the city.
...took an earlier train..taxi to the famous market, walked around the old town
( lunch) , seen the Cathedral, taxi to the City of Arts and Sciences....spent
an hour there, taxi to the beach ( Las Arenas)...walked around , had a lovely early dinner
in one of the restaurants on the beach, taxi to the train station for aa late train to Madrid...it was a long ( and expensive) day, we had a great time!