Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Madrid arroceria that serves single portions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2023, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I'm in Madrid and I'm having a difficult time finding a quality Arroceria that does single portions. My fiancee can't have any of the rice dishes (or eat at these places in general) due to significant medically necessary dietary restrictions.

I'm not really very interested in buying a double portion and trying to reheat it, so I'm hoping that there's somewhere *good* that does single servings. Anyone know of such a place?
Old Jul 25th, 2023, 03:41 PM

Paella by Rodrigo de la Calle, Mercado de San Miguel, Madrid
https://mercadodesanmiguel.es/en/pue...e-la-calle-en/
Old Jul 26th, 2023, 12:05 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Revulgo
Paella by Rodrigo de la Calle, Mercado de San Miguel, Madrid
https://mercadodesanmiguel.es/en/pue...e-la-calle-en/
I appreciate the recommendation, but it seems that the stall falls very far from the experience offered at the full restaurant.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/mnbGEXqVdJ91uSDo9

​​​​​​https://maps.app.goo.gl/WHm1VNjPjietmZo68

I'm guessing the real answer is that places who made good rice dishes simply refuse to serve single portions. I suppose I'll probably have to resign myself to either buying 2 and trying to reheat one, or just skipping the experience, which is likely what I'll end up choosing unfortunately.

It's a shame that places like this haven't yet taken into consideration people who have food allergies being unable to eat a portion of their rice dishes. Perhaps some day.
Old Jul 26th, 2023, 07:36 AM

I guess saving 20 euros is that big a deal to you. It's a European vacation. Don't sweat the extra money. Get the rice dish. The great one I had at La Barraca in Madrid is still something I dream about.
Old Jul 26th, 2023, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shelemm
I guess saving 20 euros is that big a deal to you. It's a European vacation. Don't sweat the extra money. Get the rice dish. The great one I had at La Barraca in Madrid is still something I dream about.
I admittedly struggle with intentionally wasting money, no matter the amount. I've seen too many "millionaire nextdoor" types walk through the doors of my business to ignore, and that's also the way I was raised. Traveling reinforces it further as I see those who would work long and hard for a 20 everywhere.

So no, a 20 isn't going to break the bank, but as they say "if you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything." Fortunately, I've never had a food change my life, and I don't suspect that paella would be the food to do it, so if I can't find what I'm after, I'll save the money and keep my personal values intact.

​​​​
Old Jul 26th, 2023, 10:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think you are right to keep your inherent values

at the same time

Let the makers of the dish keep their inherent values, these dishes are normally made for an entire village, a festa, a party (have you seen the dishes?) they are for sharing and to share you need at least two people
Old Jul 27th, 2023, 12:56 AM

I read somewhere that there is a restaurant in Madrid that offers very good paella and you can order just one portion. Let me see if I can find it.
Old Jul 27th, 2023, 12:02 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I still talk about the fantastic vegetarian paella I had in Madrid. I talked my friend into splitting it with me, as it was meant for two, but we both agreed it was the best meal of our trip. We still had enough leftovers for two more servings, which we took back to our apartment and had for dinner the next night. Not a bite of that dish was wasted
Old Jul 27th, 2023, 01:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
A simple Google search shows that Bar la Gloria will sell a single portion of paella

Home - Bar La Gloria
Old Jul 28th, 2023, 12:51 AM

A shame you do not remember where you bought it.
Old Jul 28th, 2023, 01:08 AM

La Gloria is definitely a choice. Another possiblity is Vinitus, one of the best tapas restaurants in Madrid. And they seem to offer paella dishes according to this blog and video:
Best Paella in Madrid Restaurants (Includes Videos) (walksofspain.com)
Old Jul 28th, 2023, 05:35 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MadridProfessor
A shame you do not remember where you bought it.
Was that meant for me?

If so, I do indeed remember - Dudua Palacio.
Old Jul 28th, 2023, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Melnq8
Was that meant for me?

If so, I do indeed remember - Dudua Palacio.
Yes it exists! It is in a part of the city center that is totally off the beaten path and reviews are good. Madrid never ceases to surprise me.
Old Jul 29th, 2023, 03:04 AM

You can ask at La Tajada (https://www.latajada.es/carta). Good food, good prices and unpretentious.

Also Casa Benigna (https://casabenigna.com/carta-comida-2) and Los Arroces de Segis (https://restaurantemicasa.es/los-arr...-segis-madrid/).

Last edited by Besalu; Jul 29th, 2023 at 03:09 AM.
Old Aug 1st, 2023, 02:59 PM

The OP perhaps is long gone from Madrid right now, but for others...
If it must be a Valencian style paella, yes, the place to order an individual serving would be Revulgo's suggestion if you want to see the market, which has become a major tourist attraction.

If you're interested in a wonderful individual rice dish, catalán style, I recently had a lovely vegetable rice dish for lunch at Can Bonet, owned by a catalán couple. The also serve a typical catalán rice with rabbit and snails. It´s highly regarded by the food critics and the dining room both comfortable and relaxing with nice service. But these may not appeal, if you´re seeking a Valencian paella.
Can Bonet is located on Av. Menéndez Pelayo, across from beautiful Retiro Park. Their rice dishes are always individual portions. And if booked on The Fork, if you´re willing to dine early, from 1:00-1:45 for lunch or 8:00-8:30 for dinner, you receive a 30% discount.
https://www.thefork.com/restaurant/c...madrid-r681881

As mentioned by Besalu, La Tajada in northern Madrid serves 4 wonderful rice dishes but meant to be shared. It´s recently been remodeled, going more "upscale" in décor.

La Barraca, mentioned in all the travel guides, doesn't serve individual paellas,
nor does the newish St James downstairs in the Galería Canalejas, next to the Four Seasons. I had a lovely lunch with friends at the latter recently and the rice dishes are first rate.
We shared a black rice with squid.

My favorite Valencia paella restaurant currently is Berlanga, also on Av. Menéndez Pelayo, owned by the Valencian son of Spain's famed film director Luis García Berlanga. His rice dishes really shine, and the setting lovely, in a very comfortable, relaxing dining space.
https://restauranteberlanga.com/qr-carta/.

Last edited by Maribel; Aug 1st, 2023 at 03:44 PM.
Old Aug 8th, 2023, 09:42 PM

Just curious for my own visit:

LA BIEN APARECIDA? Good choice for solo diner seeking top quality rice dishes in single serving? Or overpriced due to location and clientele???
Old Aug 9th, 2023, 07:08 AM

ekscrunchy

I have never eaten there, nor had I heard of it, but I do have to say the food looks majorly impressive. Especially the rice dishes. If you can resist the starters (tho who could?) then the prices don't seem out of line with any nice places where I live.
Old Aug 9th, 2023, 10:07 AM

ekscrunchy,
La Bien Aparecida in the Salamanca district (as I mentioned in a recent Hungry Onion thread) is a member of the well respected Cañadío group from Cantabria and of the Madrid members of this group, it's the most gastronomic. The chef, José Manuel de Dios, is very well regarded.

The prices at La Bien Aparecida run higher than the casual La Maruca restaurants of this group because the kitchen is more ambitious, the chef, award winning, the décor more elegant, it boasts a Repsol sun, and it sits on Madrid´s most high rent "restaurant row", Calle Jorge Juan. It also opens on Sunday nights, which is handy, as many of the city's top tier restaurants, as you know, close on Sunday nights.

All of Paco Quirós and Carlos Crespo's Cañadío group restaurants are famous for their scrumptious cheesecake.

Here's what my favorite professional critic, Carlos Maribona, had to say:
https://www.abc.es/guia-restaurantes...aparecida.html

But just to add a thought about a delicious (but very rich), individual rice dish but not a Valencian paella, I enjoy the very original duck rice Valencia-Shanghei, and my husband enjoys the rice with giant scarlet prawns (carabineros) and red shrimp (gamba roja) at SALINO.
The Aparicio brothers' cooking is very ambitious, and Salino is one of the top dining spots for us in the food-rich Retiro district. Must reserve.

The brothers also own La Raquetista, another favorite, Taberna Cachivache in northern Madrid, nearby our favorite Asturian gourmet shop, Coalla Gourmet, and the new-ish La Raquetista en La Habana, which we also love, in the Salamanca district.

https://www.salino.es

Last edited by Maribel; Aug 9th, 2023 at 10:58 AM.
Old Aug 9th, 2023, 12:44 PM

ekscrunchy,
I just thought of another place tailor made for you that serves individual arroces en paella (as you know "paella" actually refers to the pan in which the rice dish is cooked).
Why tailor made for you? Because it's tucked away in a back corner of the Mercado de la Paz, where I know you (and I) love to shop. It's OH, DÈLICE BISTROT.

It was originally opened as a place to enjoy French wines, champagne and oysters (great Bloody Mary ones) at the bar, but it's since evolved, has a small sit down dining area and now offers rice dishes as well.

They can prepare a rice dish for one person--some of the rice dishes: black rice with artichokes and scallops, rice with butifarra sausage and mushrooms, rice with mushrooms and free range chicken, arroz a banda. The chef who does the rice dishes trained with Berasategui.

In the Madrid episode of Somebody Please Feed Phil , Phil took the husband and wife team from Casa Dani over to Oh, Délice to try oysters here (she had never tasted one!
(A thread on Hungry Onion mentions this)

Here's Paz Alvarez' review (she writes articles for the Gastro section of El País) with photos:
https://cincodias.elpais.com/cincodi...45_728319.html

They also deliver via Uber Eats.

Old Aug 10th, 2023, 09:14 AM

Maribel, what are you doing to me here? At this rate I will have to rent a flat in Madrid for at least one month!
Will be back at my new favorite hotel in March, after Vejer.....more on this in another thread...

But Valencia Shanghai?? I Googled this and came up with only flights (non existent) from Valencia to Shanghai..what am I missing here?
As you all might recall, I did not have a great paella experience in Valencia, but will put at least one of these places on my list for early spring..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -