Reload this Page >

Madrid and Santiago de Compostela

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 06:08 AM
jill

Sorry if this is a repeat. I need a hotel suggestion in Madrid for 3 nites- for arrival nite and 2 nites following. Also- a suggested itinerary would be helpful. I am arrving in Santiago de Compostela later during my trip- meeting people at Hotel de los Reyes Catolicos- but was unable to make a reservation. Any suggestions of a nice hotel near to that would be appreciated. I will not have a car. Thank you!

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 02:21 PM
Maribel

Yes, Jill, I can recommend a new "Pousada de Galicia" hotel called the Hotel Virxe da Cerca, a restored 18th century Jesuit residence steps away from the Plaza, which you can see at http://www.estancias.com<BR>Because Patrick warned me that rooms at the Hostal de los Reyes Catolicos were very much in need of renovation and the travel editor of the Spanish daily, "El Pais", recently lamented the same, we decided to forgo the Parador for our trip this June and choose other lodgings. An article by Calvin Trillin, "The Pepper Chase" in Gourmet, Nov. '99 recommended the Virxe da Cerca (it was then brand new), and since then the Estancias de Espana, a kind of poor man's Parador chain (lovely, charming hotels but less exp than the Paradors) just added it to its group. When I booked, the people at the Virxe da Cerca were very pleasant to deal with by phone and immediately sent me a confirmation via email. I spoke in Spanish, but I do know that they speak excellent English.<BR>I'll get back to you later regarding an itinerary. <BR>Hope this helps.<BR>

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 04:28 PM
jill

Thank you!

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 06:57 PM
Patrick

Although Maribel is right about my assessement of the parador in Santiago, let me tell you that originally we had trouble booking it. We tried through a general booking agency for Spanish paradors, and also through the one in New York, but when both said it was unavailable, we finally found the direct email address for that particular parador via a search on the web. We then were able to book a room at about half of the original quote from the New York reps for Spanish paradors.

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 08:10 PM
jill

thanks for the info- I just did try to book on line using the web site that Maribel provided- I have not received a confirmation as of yet.