Italian Riviera

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 01:18 PM
Anna

Italian Riviera

Any suggestions for accommodations in Santa Margherita Ligure? I'm trying to stay in a central area of the town where things will be walking distance...Also any comments on which is a better home base for the Cinque Terre, Monterosso or Riomaggiore? Thanks so much!

Anna

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 03:19 PM
Brian in Atlanta

Bob the Nav turned me on to Hotel Jolanda in SML - great hotel, only a couple of blocks from the water - very central. We had a wonderful room and big bathroom. Some have balconies, but these may be smaller inside. Friendly staff, decent breakfast. They have a web site.

If you're going to the Cinque Terre anytime soon, check to see if all the trails are open. If not, I'd stay in Monterosso because you can get stuck in Riomaggiorie at certain parts of the day when the trains don't run frequently (the path from Monterosso to Vernazza is open). Good luck.

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 03:55 PM
Anna

OK thanks Brian. Will check out the web site for Hotel Jolanda. It sounds like you're saying Monterosso has more frequent/reliable train service. I am driving in to whatever town I stay on the Cinque Terre but do plan to visit the others by train (or boat if conditions are good)..Is parking easier/more available in either Monterosso or Riomaggiore?

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 05:46 PM
Gail

Anna - also check the website for the Hotel Fasce: www.venere.it/it/liguria/smargherita/fasce/
We'll be staying there in a couple of weeks, and I'll post a reply on our return in May.

Last year we stayed at the Hotel LaVela up the hill from town. Our room was very nice and had a gorgeous view of the harbor, but the train rumbled across my bed about 3 times/night! A room at the back of the hotel would be quieter....but then you would lose the view.

The Fasce has a rooftop terrace and bicycles to ride around town....I can't wait!

Gail

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 05:53 PM
Ben

Hi,

We stayed in Monterossa and found it to have more hotels and a better beach. You can drive to Monterosa and park your car at the parking lot at the edge of town. Walking between the towns is wonderful. You will have a great time.

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 07:48 PM
Anna

Gail, Hotel Fasce sounds great..will check out the website. Wouldn't be too crazy about the train noise at the other place. Ben, thanks for the feedback on Monterosso. So does anyone have a good hotel recommendation for Monterosso in the moderate range? Or would Levanto also be a convenient alternative base for the Cinque Terre? I've seen some good feedback on Villa Margherita in Levanto on Rick Steve's boards but I'm not sure how convenient it is for driving into and for access to Cinque Terre towns. Anybody?

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 05:34 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Parking is much easier in Monterosso and may be impossible in Riomaggiore. My point about the train was that if the trail out of Riomaggiore is still closed, you'll be limited to the train or boat, but if you don't plan on hiking between towns anyway, it doesn't really matter.

We had a good stay at the Hotel Pasquale in Monterosso for 180,000 Lira per night. www.pasini.it

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 09:04 AM
Anna

Thanks again. I would like to do some of the hike, and from what I've been reading starting in Riomaggiore is the easier direction. But it wouldn't ruin my time if I couldn't do the hike, as long as I get to see the towns.

Is parking unavailable in Riomaggiore or so small that it fills up? The reason I've been considering Riomaggiore is that it's at the end of the CT and I'll be heading toward Florence when we leave so it seemed logical. But if parking will be a problem then of course, it doesn't make sense and we'll stay in Monterosso or Levanto.
Thanks for the hotel info in Monterosso. I love the places with web sites, makes it so much easier when you can get a look before deciding where to stay.

One last thing, has anyone seen or stayed at Fiorina hotel in Santa Margherita?...it's supposed to be closer to town and the water.

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 07:00 PM
Dayle

We stayed at the Hotel Laurin in SML. It was right on the water & our room was great. It had a large terrace overlooking the marina. 2 people, 2 beds 3 nights was about $100 US /night.

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 08:56 PM
dale

In CT, Monterosso also has more restaurants (try Ciak).

I stayed at the Hotel Villa Steno, owned by the same people who own the Pasquale (www.pasini.com). It's up away from the beach (closer to the parking?) but nice, with balconies overlooking the town and cheaper than Pasquale.