Madrid and Lisbon in Mid-March

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2004, 10:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently a student in the US and my brother is studying abroad in Germany (we are 21 and 19 respectively). I am meeting him in Madrid on March 9th, where we will spend 2 days. Then, we are going to Lisbon for 3 days, then returning for 3 more days of Madrid. I have booked tickets for a bull fight, and I have found some interesting museums and things to go to. Any suggestions of things that we might enjoy doing during the day? Do they have the Market (El Rastra?) every sunday in Madrid, and if so, is that "good"? Also, I have heard some things about Sintra. Is Sintra worth going to? Are there any beaches that would be easy to reach while in Madrid, and if so, is it worth it during march? Any help with any of this would be greatly appreciated! One more thing--we are on a semi-tight budget. We are more looking for cheap things to do that will be interesting. Thanks a [email protected]
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 01:28 AM

Meggie, have you already looked at the map of Spain? Of course there are no beaches near Madrid, it's a city in the middle of the big spanish country. And anyway, in the middle of March you might get some very cold weather. Yes, Sintra is definetily worth a visit if you plan to stay 3 nights in Lisbon you should leave one to make a trip to Sintra. Have a nice trip.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 01:30 AM

One more thing, as you are young and surely enjoy nightlife, while in Lisbon go to the Docas. Plenty of nightlife there.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 02:49 AM

Portugal has some great beaches and you will Be a lot closer to them . It will be a little to cool to go in the water in March You may get a sunny day to sit out !
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 03:50 AM

I think you need to do a little research upfront and then people will be able to help you with better answers.

IMO you need to get some basic info about the areas you are going to. First, Madrid is in the center of the counry and is surroundeded by mountains. - nowhere near any water. Second, in March it is still winter/early spring in Madird - there is SKIING in the mountains - and you wil need jackets and sweaters - not swim suits.

Lisbon is usually a little warmer - but it's nowhere near beach weather.

If you are looking for hot weather and swimming you will either need to delay your vacation - May in southern Spain - or you will need to pick another location.

Old Feb 29th, 2004, 10:00 PM
Original Poster

Boy, do I feel stupid! I really DID know that Madrid was in the center of Spain--I swear! I meant to ask if there were any beaches near LISBON that were worth going to. Oops--typo. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that responded to my questions. I really appreciate all the help. I am just so confused about the weather still. Some people have said to expect cold weather that time of year, and others, including my spanish teacher, have said to expect warm. I guess I will just take layers If anyone has any more suggestions of fun things to do, let me know! Thanks a lot!
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 11:29 PM

Right night it's too cold here in Lisbon , so you would better put the idea of going to the beach. But you will have many things to do. Have a wonderful trip
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 01:27 AM
JonJon

OK, so you made a mistake and a lot of other small-minded people decided to slam you for it...be glad you aren't forced to travel anywhere with THEM!!!

I believe the HUGE flea market you mentioned in Madrid is only on Sundays and it can get very crowded (watch out for pickpockets). It can be fun as are many of these European "flea markets" buit I wouldn't necessarily do that instead of the museums, the royal palace, etc. As at any flea market a lot of the stuff consists of knock-off manufacturer's "seconds" and some of it is just plain junk.
Enjoy Madrid and Lisbon..and whatever you do DON'T feel stupid over ANYTHING that someone says to you on this board...THAT would be the biggest waste of time of all.

Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Well everyone, I am leaving tomorrow. I just wanted to say thanks again for all the tips. I really appreciate it, and I am looking forward to a great time. I wish you all well on your trips to come!